Mp3's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mp3's

Default Mp3's

This may have already been discussed in depth somewhere but are Mp3's good enough in terms of quality to be played in a club? I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the answer is no, the difference is staggering compared to files burned directly from CD. Is this true or do some people just send the mp3 files through a filter/effect to mask the shittiness?

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kaoss View Post
    This may have already been discussed in depth somewhere but are Mp3's good enough in terms of quality to be played in a club? I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the answer is no, the difference is staggering compared to files burned directly from CD. Is this true or do some people just send the mp3 files through a filter/effect to mask the shittiness?
    Mp3s are fine - it would have to be some totally epic soundsystem to notice the difference between a 320k mp3 and a .wav file.

Ditto...I use them all the time on-air and in clubs. If you import from CD at a higher bit rate, you'll be fine. I would say no less than 256k for big clubs(320k prefered). Most apps(Like Itunes) will give you an import option in the preferences section. Most search/torrent sites will also let you view by bit rate.
    plus...wav files will take up a larger amount of hard drive space

MP3 are fine, wav are too large. IMO anything under 192kbs you can hear the audio start to sound crappy
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

320kbps or V2 for mp3.

VERY audible difference between 192kbps and .wav The 192 lost it's PUNCH.

However, the 320kbps is a bit tougher. It really depends on the frequency range of your system. But keep in mind, mp3 literally compresses the audio. You've just run an electronic track that has been compressed in the studio, and crunching it again. This means that clubs that have compressors, meticulously EQd systems or just really great tweeters, you WILL hear a difference.

Now, if that difference is worth needing an external 1TB drive? eeeeeh...prolly not.

I could go for flac support in serato though!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Nope...the higher. 320kbs being the highest(I think) Should go...192k, 256k, 320k

If files downloaded from CD are ideal, why is it that all mine have a 128 bit rate? Isn't that really crappy? I'm confused

uhm...who are you saying no to? no one said anything about 192 being better than 320. lol
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kaoss View Post
    If files downloaded from CD are best, why is it that all mine have a 128 bit rate? Isn't that really crappy? I'm confused
    whatever software you're ripping from is ripping at a VERY low bit rate. look at your settings and you should find where you can either go 320CBR or like V2 VBR
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Do different formats use a lower bit rate without compromising quality? For instance mp3 vs. m4a?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast