The Official Mix Techniques Thread! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kobbe View Post
    Heres a transition I used for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Works really well for dramatic tempo-changes, and when you feel like getting some filth on the dancefloor.

Using Traktor;

Play the tune on Deck A. When the (second) breakdown comes start spinning the "timestretch area" on the jogwheel as fast as you can counter clockwise. The tune will drop in tempo a lot, leaving you with mostly noise. Keep spinning, as soon as you stop the track will play at normal speed, you dont want that to happen. Start the next tune on Deck B. Now you have two choises;
    A) If tune B starts with noise, good for you. Just kill the sound on A when the beat drops.
    B) More melodic start of the tune? Slowly add in reverb and filter down track A at the same time.

And dont forget to add some overdrive for that extra crunch!
    Nice idea, you can do that really easily with the midi fighter deckalized mapping since it has a dedicated button for pitch bend. Also works in the other direction if you wanted to really slowly start up a track although if you then press play when it reaches normal speed you have to be quick fingered or it'll start playing at 200% speed
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Also works in the other direction if you wanted to really slowly start up a track although if you then press play when it reaches normal speed you have to be quick fingered or it'll start playing at 200% speed
    You could set a loop in the beginning so that important parts of the song wont get lost.
    Im thinking of making a mixtape soon. Maybe Ill include this.

Fade to Grey ;D

anyone got any dj mixing techinques and tips for live? so far ive really only used it as a production tool and editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    one that i whore to death

effects chain; gater, lo-fi, delay

cut/fade in new track (b)
    set 8 beat loop on outgoing track (a)
    drop gater on 'a'
    then either some delay followed by lo-fi or other way round on 'a'
    progessively reduce loop size (optional) on 'a'
    increase key and twist the filter knob in lo-cut direction (clockwise) on 'a'
    get it sounding messed up and glitchy
    when ready to cut, crank delay on 'a' all way up, stop deck and kill gater/lo-fi effects, leave delay to fade out

few varied examples in this vid

blatant plug
    I do something very similar, but additionally I sometimes use the freeze in traktor, when you get track a to the point its crazy delayed(can combine with lowpass filter) and coming out play around with the time parameter and just before freezing set it to 1/4, generally with this time it gives a smooth fade out for 4/4 songs and other beats too. You can later come back in with these noises into the next song by releasing and re engaging the freeze, and if you move the time parameter before/after it will give it an extra twist! Just remember to deactivate that freeze before next track plays!

I will see If I can upload a vid...

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    anyone got any dj mixing techinques and tips for live? so far ive really only used it as a production tool and editor.
    i'm also interested in this. anyone?

Tech Guru

one basic but effective method i use is during the mix (i always kill the bass on the incoming track initially) either just before or after the bassline of the new track has started, i start to use a high pass filter on the master channel slowly removing the bass of the current trackwhen the bass is gone, i use the eq to kill the bass of the first track and restore the bass on the incoming, then when the time is right, drop that sucker back in.

The whole thing might be done in about 8 beats, and works best coming up to a natural drop
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

so glad to keep seeing other people posting techniques... I really think DJTT blog could really use a boost of these sorts of things, and showing people the true grind of djing also (aka setting up tracks, picking tracks, etc.)

Can't wait to get my tripod back from my friend to make a vid of a mix!
    DJ ADub
    Traktor Pro 2 on a MBP
    NI Kontrol S4 + 2 MFClassics + 1 MFSpectra

Love this idea! Always looking for new transitions!

My go to is normally just counting measures, bringing in track B on top of A with Bass killed and mid and highs down a tad, do a bass switch, or maybe kill the bass altogether for 1 measure, then crank it up on B. Find a nice place to cut track A by either fader, filter, or echo/freeze.

Works seamlessly if the songs are mixed in key.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

^^nice, I gotta learn how to do the echo/freeze thing. I remember seeing Ean's tutorial a while back. Gonna have to revisit that one!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast