Check out the new Traktor family... - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I'm curious as to what you would want improved, other than flexible grids.

Tempo and beat detection, on the other hand, could do with some work.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    judging by xone's post you can't have a backup... that's pretty lame.. I have VDJ installed on 2 gig machines, no dongle, no service centre... everything (tracks, cues, plugins) automatically syncs with a third party app when they are networked. I have never had to use it but it's nice to have the insurance in case something goes wrong..

I think the point shishdisma was making is valid, if his main computer goes down he can plug the serato soundcard into a backup and be up and running instantly, The other thing with traktor is if you do have a backup you will need to shell out cash twice when 3.0 rolls up...

Also this being the premier controlleristix forum you should shun turn key locked software and encourage the use of adaptable software solutions.
    One traktor license is valid to be installed on two machines.

What I mean was I don't think you can register multiple separate licenses on one account to prevent people from selling extra licenses that come with hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    I'm curious as to what you would want improved, other than flexible grids.

Tempo and beat detection, on the other hand, could do with some work.
    It says there is improved downbeat detection which is a big plus. Traktor often gets the location of the 1 wrong and this sounds like it this fixes it with better autogridding.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    judging by xone's post you can't have a backup... that's pretty lame.. I have VDJ installed on 2 gig machines, no dongle, no service centre... everything (tracks, cues, plugins) automatically syncs with a third party app when they are networked. I have never had to use it but it's nice to have the insurance in case something goes wrong..
    i have one traktor license and have the mac version installed on my mpb, the windows version installed on the win7 partition of my normal laptop and another copy running under wine on ubuntu on that same laptop. all activated - no issues.

i hope that atomix lower the price of vdj after this... 100usd for a soundcard *and* traktor pro compared to 300usd just for vdj

even when taking into account the free upgrades of vdj as they don't mean much when the full version of trakor is so cheap anyway
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

anyone know what changed in traktor 2.1.3? just upgraded but couldn't find any info on it and couldn't find the 'search' link on the forum to see if anyone else has mentioned it...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    I'm not sure what you are getting at there shishdisma. You think SSL is better because you don't have to input your personal product key when you install your DJ software...? You'd rather carry about an SL box everywhere then go to the Ni website once?
    I'd rather bring my SL box and a flash drive with me than bring my laptop with me everywhere.

Well, your example suggests the people don't bring their own machines with the software installed if they use SSL/Itch. How many people do you think actually do this? If you have Traktor on your machine, you can mix tracks together (albeit in a very limited fashion, but you CAN nonetheless) anywhere as you have full use of the software sans a full blown interface/controller setup. You don't have this option with Itch, and I believe that's what Xone, rdej47, and I guess myself were attempting to highlight.
    Why in the world would you go out with a $1000+ laptop, and then get stuck setting it up and patching it in, when there are already at least 1-2 laptops on scene? In a dongle based system, any laptop can be a software platform in minutes, with a license based system, if you dont have the laptop you run at home, or an extra one with the software running, you're completely DOA. A tiny metal box thats designed around a booth, and tucked away somewhere is infinitely easier to manage than a laptop.

What I was saying about the offline mode is that Traktor without a controller is essentially a wasted feature unless you enjoy carpal tunnel. Obviously it does in a pinch, but it's a moot point. If Traktor had an "offline mode" ala Serato, that was pure organizing and preparing, Traktor's Hellstorm of a library system would be manageable. But of course, it's unlikely Native will ever improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    What I was saying about the offline mode is that Traktor without a controller is essentially a wasted feature unless you enjoy carpal tunnel. Obviously it does in a pinch, but it's a moot point. If Traktor had an "offline mode" ala Serato, that was pure organizing and preparing, Traktor's Hellstorm of a library system would be manageable. But of course, it's unlikely Native will ever improve it.
    u can do anything in traktor pretty much just using the keyboard if u really had to - a keyboard is only a set of buttons after all... not sure why it would ever need an offline mode as it doesn't depend on any external hardware. i think in 2.5 they have improved itunes integration which is what i use now anyway. can't say the builtin library system is exactly awesome but i wouldn't call it a "hellstorm" either

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    I'd rather bring my SL box and a flash drive with me than bring my laptop with me everywhere.

Why in the world would you go out with a $1000+ laptop, and then get stuck setting it up and patching it in, when there are already at least 1-2 laptops on scene? In a dongle based system, any laptop can be a software platform in minutes, with a license based system, if you dont have the laptop you run at home, or an extra one with the software running, you're completely DOA. A tiny metal box thats designed around a booth, and tucked away somewhere is infinitely easier to manage than a laptop.

Not that I don't agree somewhat. But what location EVER has a laptop or whatever computer on site for you to use with SSL installed? I have NEVER seen that in any club, or any venue. If you are using software to DJ 99% of people bring their own computer to begin with.

I have never seen a venue with it's own computer on site. Neither would I ever want to DJ on a laptop that isn't my own.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    u can do anything in traktor pretty much just using the keyboard if u really had to - a keyboard is only a set of buttons after all... not sure why it would ever need an offline mode as it doesn't depend on any external hardware. i think in 2.5 they have improved itunes integration which is what i use now anyway. can't say the builtin library system is exactly awesome but i wouldn't call it a "hellstorm" either
    I mean a strIpped down browser/prepare space, rather than just having the full HUD displayed for just setting cue points.

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    Not that I don't agree somewhat. But what location EVER has a laptop or whatever computer on site for you to use with SSL installed? I have NEVER seen that in any club, or any venue. If you are using software to DJ 99% of people bring their own computer to begin with.
    Assuming you aren't the only DJ on the lineup, there are around 1 x the number of other DJs in the building. It's actually much easier, since you aren't trying to manage laptops mid-changeover. If your software is license based, and someone else in the venue doesn't happen to have that licence, you're at a serious disadvantage. You can't just pop Traktor onto anything and roll, it has to be a specific laptop. If that specific laptop isn't available, you're fried.

I'm surprised more people aren't in favor of a dongle system, considering it's only real disadvantage is a niche, and it paves the way to Advanced HID.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast