Old Dj WIth Old Gear, want to go from Vinyl to DVS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Old Dj WIth Old Gear, want to go from Vinyl to DVS

Good Evening Everyone, I have an old system that I used in the 80's and 90's. I have 2 Technic 1200's with a Vestex pcm-005mk2 mixer and a Akai APC40 which was a Christmas present in 2014.

I have a Dell desktop XPS Studio computer core i7 running win7 64bit sp1 with 24gbs of Ram. I also have a Dell laptop with win7 pro 64bit core i3 8gbs of ram.

I would like to start it up again after 15 yrs. of being out the game raising my kids. I would like to do a DVS system that incorporates all the above equipment. What system should I buy that I can use all my present hardware?

Right now I'm trying to decide between Traktor scratch A6 and Pioneer Rekordbox dj.

All honest help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    HecTech
    Attached Images Attached Images

The differences between Traktor Scratch and Rekordbox+DVS (especially with a 2-channel mixer focusing on DVS) aren't huge.

Traktor can do more if you like the idea of remix or stems decks. Rekordbox is slightly more likely to be inadvertantly supported if you play in clubs (since a lot of their club install mixers work as rekordbox DVS interfaces but not traktor scratch interfaces).

They both have good included effects, but both require a controller to really take advantage of them.

There are also demos available for each piece of software (without DVS functionality, I think). That's probably how I'd decide if I were you....see which software package you like and assume the DVS for each is going to work.

I hate to say it because I've been using Traktor for years but if I were making this decision today I'd go with rekordbox. As mostapha said, you're likely to see more compatible hardware in the wild, and that will be even more true as time goes on. I haven't played on rekordbox at all but it looks simpler to learn than Traktor as well. And yeah either one you get you're going to want a controller, if only for the basic play commands. A Novation Dicer might be just the thing you need as it's simple and unobtrusive and it seems like you want to stick to the basics.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Go with Rekordbox DJ. The interface 2 is relatively inexpensive and you will be prepared for any setup you come across.

Kudos on having a pmc005a mk2 in good condition by the way. Every single one I have seen in person has been busted.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Default Mixer

Thanks for all the replies! So, as long as I get a DVS system with an interface I can still use my Vestex mixer correct?

Quote Originally Posted by HecTech View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! So, as long as I get a DVS system with an interface I can still use my Vestex mixer correct?
    yes
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    yes
    Thanks for all the Input guys! I'm researching right now. Can wait to get started with DVS!

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I hate to say it because I've been using Traktor for years but if I were making this decision today I'd go with rekordbox. As mostapha said, you're likely to see more compatible hardware in the wild, and that will be even more true as time goes on. I haven't played on rekordbox at all but it looks simpler to learn than Traktor as well. And yeah either one you get you're going to want a controller, if only for the basic play commands. A Novation Dicer might be just the thing you need as it's simple and unobtrusive and it seems like you want to stick to the basics.
    The thought has crossed my mind to switch. But, I'm not going to do it yet.

Rekordbox DJ 5 works better than Serato DJ ever did with my DDJ-SX, and there really isn't much missing compared to traktor...just some trade-offs that aren't relevant to very many people (sampler vs. remix and stems decks and different effects in each).

The big thing, IMHO, for gigging DJs is that if you wanted to spin with controllers but have an easy backup, it's just a matter of exporting the playlists you're going to use to USB sticks...assuming the club has a NXS/NXS2 setup. If your main system is Traktor, you have to either rely on a conversion utility or prep the tracks twice (and potentially manage them twice if you're not using iTunes/beaTunes/whatever).

It's still the X1s and D2s that keep me on Traktor.

Tech Convert

Default Traktor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The thought has crossed my mind to switch. But, I'm not going to do it yet.

Rekordbox DJ 5 works better than Serato DJ ever did with my DDJ-SX, and there really isn't much missing compared to traktor...just some trade-offs that aren't relevant to very many people (sampler vs. remix and stems decks and different effects in each).

The big thing, IMHO, for gigging DJs is that if you wanted to spin with controllers but have an easy backup, it's just a matter of exporting the playlists you're going to use to USB sticks...assuming the club has a NXS/NXS2 setup. If your main system is Traktor, you have to either rely on a conversion utility or prep the tracks twice (and potentially manage them twice if you're not using iTunes/beaTunes/whatever).

It's still the X1s and D2s that keep me on Traktor.
    I like the remix aspect of Traktor. It seems to give the remixer tons of control, I'm just trying to figure out how I can use my Akai APC40 as a controller for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HecTech View Post
    I like the remix aspect of Traktor. It seems to give the remixer tons of control, I'm just trying to figure out how I can use my Akai APC40 as a controller for it.
    It actually doesn't do nearly that much.

The Stems decks are kind of cool for that, but it depends on what they pick (and what you want to do). Apart from some decent adoption of that format, it's still lacking behind what Ableton Live could do ten years ago. They do keep trying. And it's gotten better. But...I'm still not impressed.

Then again, I'm weird. When I started DJing, that's all I wanted to do. Now that it's basically possible, I like Traktor because it's so good at being simple and straightforward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast