Songs sounding glitchy in Ableton Live 9?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Songs sounding glitchy in Ableton Live 9?

So i started using Ableton live 9 for basic DJ intro edits. Were i basically get an instrumental version of the song, cut the first 8 bars out and add them to the original track. I doing this with hip hop btw.

Now i had it pretty nailed down, both tracks are at 101 bpm (So Traktor said) when i play everything together the instrumental at the start sounds good, when the original kicks in with the lyrics so after the instrumental intro it sounds kind of jumpy and glitchy (this is after exported aswell). And i know their not bad files so?

I very very new to producing and Ableten so if anyone has got any ideas and why this is happening please explain cleary haha.

Many thanks
    Macco

Hey - I do this all the time with Hip-Hop.

Have you warped BOTH files in Ableton to the original BPM? Since you're exporting at the original BPM, make sure the Warp Mode is set to Repitch.

Anymore questions stick 'em here.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Hey - I do this all the time with Hip-Hop.

Have you warped BOTH files in Ableton to the original BPM? Since you're exporting at the original BPM, make sure the Warp Mode is set to Repitch.

Anymore questions stick 'em here.
    Well i set the bpm in the top left corner to the original bpm (101) does this matter or have i done it right wrong? How do i Repitch?

The BPM in the top left is just the master tempo. You have to warp the actual clip. In the clip view, hit Warp, then in the drop down menu select repitch, then warp your clip as you normally would.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    The BPM in the top left is just the master tempo. You have to warp the actual clip. In the clip view, hit Warp, then in the drop down menu select repitch, then warp your clip as you normally would.
    I clicked warp butto and sounds better already, do i have to warp in twice? You said warp as you normally would after rep itch? How do i rep itch?

Sorry new to all this

That drop down menu is just to select what mode you want live to use to warp the track. The different modes are different algorithms that live uses to warp the track. Do a google search on ableton warp modes. You NEED to know the difference. It should take all of about 15 minutes to read up on them. My go to mode is complex pro because Im all over the place with switching BPMs. Since you said you were going to export this in its original BPM, Patch suggested you use repitch. Repitch sounds better but you have to play it at its original BPM.

So to answer your question, When you hit "warp" ableton just did a quick warp to the "seg bpm" that was entered in the box. You have to manually go in now and warp the track with warp markers.

Head over to youtube AFTER you read about ableton warp modes and look up "warping a track in ableton live". This will teach you several ways to actually do the warping.

EDITED TO CLEAR UP WHAT I MENT TO SAY
    Last edited by William Gibson; 01-22-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    That drop down menu is just to select what mode you want live to use to warp the track. The different modes are different algorithms that live uses to warp the track. Do a google search on ableton warp modes. You NEED to know the difference. It should take all of about 15 minutes to read up on them. My go to mode is complex pro because Im all over the place with switching BPMs. Since you said you were going to export this in its original BPM, Patch suggested you use repitch. Repitch sounds better but you have to play it at its original BPM.

I see i will get on this! SO what has Ableton done when i clicked warp? It does sound a lot better? Shall i remove it? Thanks or the in depth reply aswell!!!

So to answer your question, you did not warp it just by hitting warp OR selecting repitch. You hit warp and that just told ableton "Ok, homeboy is about to warp me." You clicked repitch and that told ableton "ok, homeboy wants me to do this up in repitch mode" now you have to actually warp the track.

Head over to youtube AFTER you read about ableton warp modes and look up "warping a track in ableton live". This will teach you several ways to actually do the warping.

I see so what has Ableton done when i have clicked warp? It sounds a lot better!! Shall i remove it? I will read up on it in depth! Thanks for in depth answer aswell!

I didnt really explain that technically right.

When you hit "warp", ableton quickly stretches the track to its "seg BPM". So no matter what you put in that seg box, it will stretch it. As soon as you watch a how to warp video you will understand.

My explanation skills suck. As soon as you watch a video on how to warp what I said should make sense.

Tech Mentor

I watched a great video followed all steps, all downbeats are on point and in the right place. Im still not convinced it sounds as good as the original un edited version though. Not sure if I'm just thinking it is haha

Go into preferences and turn off "auto warp long clips", that'll stop it messing up your tracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast