Numark 4Trak - how portable?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Numark 4Trak - how portable?

Hi

I'm trying to decide on a new Traktor Pro controller and it's down to the Denon DN-MC6000 and the Numark 4Trak.

My preferred option is probably the 4Trak because of build quality and button layout, but I'm a little worried about how easy it's going to be to lug around. I have gigs I have to take the train to, and then travel across London by tube etc., and the 4Trak just looks like a really big unit, and heavy too. Also can't find many bags that will take it, and practically none that will carry the controller and a 17" Macbook.

Can any 4Trak users perhaps advise on how things are working out for them? Is the extra size and weight a problem, or are there ways to get around it? I don't mind a bit of physical effort, as long as the whole thing isn't so unweildy that it's just unworkable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Really excited about this purchase!

Jules

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
    Hi

I'm trying to decide on a new Traktor Pro controller and it's down to the Denon DN-MC6000 and the Numark 4Trak.

My preferred option is probably the 4Trak because of build quality and button layout, but I'm a little worried about how easy it's going to be to lug around. I have gigs I have to take the train to, and then travel across London by tube etc., and the 4Trak just looks like a really big unit, and heavy too. Also can't find many bags that will take it, and practically none that will carry the controller and a 17" Macbook.

Can any 4Trak users perhaps advise on how things are working out for them? Is the extra size and weight a problem, or are there ways to get around it? I don't mind a bit of physical effort, as long as the whole thing isn't so unweildy that it's just unworkable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Really excited about this purchase!

Jules
    Hi dude, I've just got one a few days ago. Although it's quite big, it's not too heavy. If you buy the backpack it shouldn't be too bad. It's a great piece of equipment though and I fully recommend it. Nearest controller to CDJ's I've ever come across.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Hi dude, I've just got one a few days ago. Although it's quite big, it's not too heavy. If you buy the backpack it shouldn't be too bad. It's a great piece of equipment though and I fully recommend it. Nearest controller to CDJ's I've ever come across.
    That's extremely helpful. Glad to hear you're pleased with it - it looks superb.

It looks like there's a Numark bag that will hold it, so I'd just need a way to carry the laptop, stand, phones etc. I just want to make sure it's physically possible to carry the kit around when I need to.

Thanks again.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
    That's extremely helpful. Glad to hear you're pleased with it - it looks superb.

It looks like there's a Numark bag that will hold it, so I'd just need a way to carry the laptop, stand, phones etc. I just want to make sure it's physically possible to carry the kit around when I need to.

Thanks again.
    No problem.

There's a front pocket that should fit your macbook in.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ

Tech Mentor

i've played with an MC6000 and while i love Denon, the mc6000 is way too tiny for me. and everything seems smooshed together

4Trak layout is interesting. Depending where you'll use it, it may not fit in the DJ booth at all though.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zorilow View Post
    4Trak layout is interesting. Depending where you'll use it, it may not fit in the DJ booth at all though.
    Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    i've played with an MC6000 and while i love Denon, the mc6000 is way too tiny for me. and everything seems smooshed together
    And there you have it. One's too big, one's too small. The Denon could have been sized up about 10% and the Numark sized down by the same amount. I love the button and knob configuration on the 4Trak, and the spacious feel is cool, plus the build quality is by all accounts amazing, but all the time I'm thinking - "mate, you've got to drag this thing home later".

The portability of the Denon would be a huge benefit - it'll practically fit in a large laptop bag - but there's a nagging voice in my head saying "too small, you'll regret compromising on control layout for the sake of a smaller bag". I'm just shit at decisions basically.

Somebody please help me ....!!

Appreciate all the feedback guys.

Jules

Tech Mentor

Get the 4Trak, it's worth it.

If not - then the S4 is very similar and about 15% smaller than the 4Trak (at a guess).

Twitter @JordanBMZ

never had to transport it anywhere but its not too heavy. build quality is FAR better than expected with a numark and leaps and bounds above the s4. every button works, is mapped correctly and can take a fair amount of abuse. flux mode and 3rd party maps all work with zero problems. sound card is solid. analog/digital is nice to have.
    if your putting any decent controller in a bag with a lap top...they're all going to feel about the same on your back.
    MacPro 8 core 16GB • 22" Cinema HD • 17" MacBook PRO 4GB • 2x Technics 1200 mk2 • 2x Eurolite flight cases • Numark 4TRAK • Vestax PMC-07 Pro • NI Traktor Kontrol F1 • NI Traktor Pro 2.6 • Ableton 9 Suite • Akai MPK49 • MDR-V700DJ hps • AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio hps • 2x KRK Rokit6 monitors G2 • 2x JBL LSR4328P professional monitors • Arturia MINILAB • Focusrite Saffire PRO14 • Blue SPARK mic • MASCHINE 2 with 2.2 • 1 mill-e-on VSTs

Tech Guru

The VCI 400 is in between the size of the S4 and MC6000, and is also a solid well built controller.

Having had the S4 for a couple years I can tell you now it's not something you'd want to carry around regularly on your back, especially not on the tube. And the 4TRAK is bigger and heavier..

Edit: Wow, the 4TRAK is over twice the weight of the S4??
    Last edited by makar1; 03-04-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast