Best monitors for bedroom djing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best monitors for bedroom djing?

What would be ideal monitors for a small bedroom setup? I think something along the lines of kh120, as I can use them for producing and mixing as well, but would a subwoofer be neccessary or could I get by with just the 5 inch kh120's?

Any decent monitors should be OK for bedroom DJing. You likely wouldn't need a sub in a room that small. I don't know much about those particular monitors but they look pretty solid based on the overall reviews.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

I'm using 5 inch Adam's in a small room. Powerfull enough, no need for a sub!

I used to run 8 inch speakers, since I bought those 5''... I think using larger speakers in a small room is a waste of money!
    Them 8'' where very harsh on my ears.

Yea, I like the compactness of the kh120's really, that's why I'm looking at those, but I think u right, too much bass in a small room would just muddy everything up. Although a sub would be nice when I want to piss off my neighbors.

Tech Mentor

Side question: is it better to use monitors or a PA system for bedroom DJing? I have always heard that you should use monitors to produce and PA to DJ, but that's not based on anything besides word of mouth.

Not trying to correct anybody, just wondering since I use a PA to DJ when at home and this is the first time I have seen someone say to use monitors.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/

Tech Guru

Monitors are for producing. Any speakers are fine for DJing, but PA would be overkill for a bedroom.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Default Focal Alpha

I have the Solo 6 Be w/ a sub and they sound amazing.

Focal have a new set of speakers that are worth checking out.. called "Alpha" The Alpha 80 has an 8" bass driver, so should sound amazing..

http://www.focal.com/en/239-alpha

They appear to cost ~ $1k for the pair. I don't know what their smaller Alpha's cost, but my guess is significantly less.

Tech Convert

Default Adam!

Adam A5 or A7 dude! And if you can add a subwoofer. Almost everybody I know agree that Adam are kind of harder to "understand" at the beginning, but once you got them you'll get the best sound.

I've been working with KRK but I don't know about the KH, I'm sorry..;(

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I've always been confused by the use of monitors for solely DJing. I've fallen victim to that myself and the sound was never that great because with the way I have things arranged, I couldn't have the monitors angled and at the proper height.

KRK's are a bit love/hate, but personally I think they're great

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast