Mixing externally using Traktor Pro and X1.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Mixing externally using Traktor Pro and X1.

Ok, so, this is going to seem elementary to many people, but between manuals, forum posts, articles, etc., I cannot find the solution to my query. I use Traktor Pro, and I am looking to play with an F1 and X1 mk. I. I have seen many people hook their laptops directly to mixers, providing control over EQs, faders, etc. How do I do this? Essentially, I want to go to gigs with my laptop, X1, F1, and headphones, that is all. I want to control my track decks with the X1 and the F1, but the volume, EQs, etc. with an external mixer. I have a NI Audio 2, but it seems to not be what I need for connecting to an external mixer.

Regards,

Daniel

You will need 2 TRS>RCA cables to use your soundcard in external mode with a mixer. Select EXTERNAL mixing mode in the Traktor preferences and you are pretty much set.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Wouldnt you need a Z1 as well?
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    Wouldnt you need a Z1 as well?
    Why?
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Why?

He said "I want to control my track decks with the X1 and the F1, but the volume, EQs, etc. with an external mixer."
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

He has an Audio2, X1 & access to some kind of mixer. Sorted.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by bc6"
    but the volume, EQs
    He'll be changing the EQ and volume of the AUDIO, once it has left Traktor and made it's way to the mixer.

The volume and EQ's in Traktor will NEVER CHANGE. That's the basis of EXTERNAL MIXING.

Mixing Audio (External) and Internal Mixing (by midi) are totally different beasts.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    He has an Audio2, X1 & access to some kind of mixer. Sorted.
    So, would I then be able to control the EQ and volume fader of each track deck on the external mixer, track A playing on the X1 controlled on channel 2 of the mixer, for example?

Tech Mentor

with your audio2 you can route deck a&B to the standalone mixer.
    connect the 2 outputs to 2 inputs of a mixer and set Traktor to external mixing. Then there are no eq and stuff are showed in Traktor and you change these parameters with the mixer.

but with your audio2 you can only route 2 decks!

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonesdb3 View Post
    I have seen many people hook their laptops directly to mixers, providing control over EQs, faders, etc. How do I do this?
    There are three methods:

1) Mixer has built in sound interface

Traktor is set to mix "externally."

The mixer provides the sound interface that you will use. A single USB cable connects the laptop to the mixer, and the mixer acts as a two or four channel sound interface. Each strero pair of outputs is assigned to a channel on the mixer, and away you go. The Pioneer 900s, A&H DB2/4, Denon X1600 or X1700 all provide this capability.

2) Mixer has a MIDI mode

Traktor is set to mix "internally."

The mixer can change from being an "analog" (or digital) mixer to be another MIDI controler. The faders, EQ, and other controls are sending MIDI to Traktor, where the change is made. Traktor is mixing internally and producing a single stereo output that can likely be routed back to the mixers master output. The Denon X1600 is capable of doing this (I have one, so I know, you know?)

3) You have a multi channel sound interface and hook that to a mixer.

Traktor is set to mix "externally."

You have a separate sound card with at least four stereo pairs of outputs. You hook those to the inputs on a mixer. The mixer is used to control the faders and EQ.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast