Complete Newbie, What to buy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Complete Newbie, What to buy?

Ive been into music for a long time, kind of want to start off a sa bedroom DJer. I have no idea what equipment to buy. Have been reading up and watching many youtube videos. SO far I have a selection of equipment that seems reasonable for a beginner.

However I don't know what I should buy first.

I've looked into:
    Numatch Mix Pro
    APC40
    Novation Launch Pad
    Maschine

I also have TouchOSC on ipad, so would be nice to get something that complements that?

Tech Guru

out of the equipment you listed I would say the Numark Mix Pro w/ Touch OSC ...scoop up a NI Soundcard & Traktor

Maschine, APC40 & Launchpad are more for producing even though you can map them to control Traktor or whatever software you chose not so conventional to learn to dj.
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Mentor

Before you go out dropping your hard-earned cash on gear, I'd first download the trial of some DJ software (either Virtual DJ or Traktor) and mess around in there. The trials are free, and it will help you determine whether it is something you want to pursue further, as well as teach you the basic fundamentals of DJing.

However, if you're dead-set on getting gear, the Numark Mixtrack Pro you mentioned would be a good starting controller. The APC40, Launchpad, and Maschine are all designed more for music production than for standard DJing (although many will disagree with me about the Launchpad. It may be the semi-exception).

Hope this helped
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Convert

DJ Sunshine-
    Is the guy in this video music producing or DJing. Perhaps i'm getting confused between the two.

Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Before you go out dropping your hard-earned cash on gear, I'd first download the trial of some DJ software (either Virtual DJ or Traktor) and mess around in there. The trials are free, and it will help you determine whether it is something you want to pursue further, as well as teach you the basic fundamentals of DJing.

However, if you're dead-set on getting gear, the Numark Mixtrack Pro you mentioned would be a good starting controller. The APC40, Launchpad, and Maschine are all designed more for music production than for standard DJing (although many will disagree with me about the Launchpad. It may be the semi-exception).

Hope this helped
    Actually the launchpad and APC40 are designed for live performance in ableton, not for production.

Quote Originally Posted by girltalk View Post
    DJ Sunshine-
    Is the guy in this video music producing or DJing. Perhaps i'm getting confused between the two.

Thanks for the tips
    Live performance with Ableton
    Anyway
    I'm thinking the same as the other guy told you.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by CionniAsDj View Post
    Live performance with Ableton
    Anyway
    I'm thinking the same as the other guy told you.
    So what equipment would you suggest?

Mixtrack pro is ok!! Total control over 2 decks and 2 fx unit.
    You can add something later if you think to continue this way.
    I used to have a Vci arcade, and after a while I added a launchpad to use as a midi fighter
    Now whit a s2 I got eveything I need, from good audio card, to great controller (and full traktor pro license)
    But before invest all this money, I think a mixtrack would be a good choice, or you can always try to find some good second hand gear.

I forgot your iPad with touchosc!! That's a great thing! You can add the control you are missing, and even "emulate" some gear in order to understand what you'll need.
    Traktor S2 . Traktor X1 . Traktor F1 (in UPS hands atm) . MBP . TP2 . Reloop Rhp-10 .

Soundcloud.
    Gone Vci 100 se arcade edition . Audio 2DJ . Launchpad . RMX . lpd8 .

Tech Convert

Okay thanks for the elp i think ill buy the mixtrack then get the launchpad as a second editon!

Tech Wizard

definitely get the numark mixtrack pro! remember though that you will also need software, not just hardware. I would recommend traktor pro 2 (although when VDJ 8 gets released im seriously considering switching over) also when and if you decide to buy a novation launchpad, check craigslist and the DJTT forum for sale sections before you bouy one, you can find them for as low as $100 (a huge discount imo) and then use the money you saved for some new tunes or even to start saving up for your next piece of kit. look out though, summers coming and i hear R.G.A.S. is startin to spread
    Numark Mixtrack Pro - Novation Launchpad - VDJ 7 PRO (dont hate I like VDJ) - Ableton suite 8.x.x - Thinkpad 13' Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWoods View Post
    It shouldnt matter how you make people dance, just as long as you do.
    ...that last bit is completely sig-able if anyone chooses to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast