buying a new mixer this week cant decide between.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ughh... so it sounds like with traktor xone 92 and an x1 might be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by bedroomdj View Post
    Ughh... so it sounds like with traktor xone 92 and an x1 might be ideal.

From 2 years of DJing...

Going from CDJ's in torq, to CDJ's in Traktor, to Vinyl in Traktor...

All the while using my DDM4000's midi mapped for the software I was using.

That sucked... cause when I went out and played on a DJM, or a Xone, or anything else, I had no midi, and I had to use the keyboard.

X1 solved ALL of that.

And using the X1 for about 6 months now, it has taught me that, for me at least, DVS holds no advantage, and for me, it actually poses some drawbacks, that a cheaper solution doesn't have.

So my DREAM setup would be thus...

Xone:92
    NI X1
    Denon DN-SC2000
    2x CDJ800mk2 (so everyone that comes over can play in my sandbox)

What about the rane 68

Quote Originally Posted by bedroomdj View Post
    What about the rane 68
    For better or for worse, I'm really not a fan of that mixer.

Probably because I'm a Traktor user, and Traktor wont ever support its sound-card.

I have also use one at PSSL near my house for a few hours when they let me demo some cdj's (PSSL is awesome) ...It was easy to adapt too, and did everything I wanted it too, it just feelt toy-ish, and looked meh.

This is a rather subjective opinion, and from looking at the Rane EQ settings, and hearing it in store, I like the tone it has. Its quality kit as far as sound is concerned, I just don't particularly care for it.

I would recommend the Denon DN-X1600. I just got one and its AWESOME. 14 effects, 4 channel built in audio interface, and 4 mappable midi pages all in one great looking package
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxVn...layer_embedded

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Pioneer also says theirs is a 3 band "parametric" eq.
    Where do they say that? Can you control the parameters of the EQ (i.e., bandwidth and center frequency)? I've DJed on a DJM 800 a few times and didn't see where you can manipulate those parameters. Hence I thought the parameters are fixed by Pioneer--as they are in most mixers--which would make the EQs semi-parametric.

That means the high and lows and shelving filters, whereas the mid is a "peak" filter, with adjustable center point and Q factor.
    I might be really off here but, once again I've DJed on a DJM 800 a few times and I didn't see where center point and Q factor are adjustable. Supposedly, this can be done on a DDM4000 but I haven't seen this on the DJM 800.

Channel equalizer response
    HI................................................ ............... –26 dB to +6 dB (13 kHz)
    MID .................................................. ........... –26 dB to +6 dB (1 kHz)
    LOW .................................................. .......... –26 dB to +6 dB (70 Hz)
    Once again, I might be really off here but the way I interpret those numbers is that they provide the response you can achieve at the exact frequencies given in parentheses. But I would assume you're also gonna get a frequency response around those frequencies and that response is gonna look something like a bell curve.

EDIT: of course, my apologies if this is all an misunderstanding by me. In any case, if you took the time to explain your logic, it'd certainly be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by itskindahot View Post
    Where do they say that? Can you control the parameters of the EQ (i.e., bandwidth and center frequency)? I've DJed on a DJM 800 a few times and didn't see where you can manipulate those parameters. Hence I thought the parameters are fixed by Pioneer--as they are in most mixers--which would make the EQs semi-parametric.

I might be really off here but, once again I've DJed on a DJM 800 a few times and I didn't see where center point and Q factor are adjustable. Supposedly, this can be done on a DDM4000 but I haven't seen this on the DJM 800.

Once again, I might be really off here but the way I interpret those numbers is that they provide the response you can achieve at the exact frequencies given in parentheses. But I would assume you're also gonna get a frequency response around those frequencies and that response is gonna look something like a bell curve.

EDIT: of course, my apologies if this is all an misunderstanding by me. In any case, if you took the time to explain your logic, it'd certainly be appreciated.

Apologies for not being as specific as I could

I wasn't meaning to imply that Pioneers had adjustable frequencies or bandwidth for their EQ, only adjustable amplitude.

And with heavy forum and technical document research on the subject I'm having a hard time discerning, FOR CERTAIN, why type of EQ that Pioneer uses.

It definitely isn't a "full-cut" type of EQ. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the high and low are bell shaped "peak" filters.

But assuming they are..

With 70 as center of peak for the low hz, and 13khz for the highs, that gives it a repsonse range of

20-130hz low

130-6000 mid

6000-20000hz high

And depending on the bandwidth of those peak filters each EQ may slightly overlap each other.

IMHO even in this instance, there isn't enough mid band on the LOW pot for MY preference, and the high is still slightly too high.

But not by the exasperated margins I originally alluded to, and this would seem to make more sense.

It still supports my theory, although shows that the Pioneer DJM's are not as tonally gimped as I thought those numbers would suggest. But I still think it represents why the tonal quality of EQ adjustment has a warmer feel on mixers with a small mid band, and larger high and low bands.

..And I was totally mistaken on the COMPLETE definition of "parametric" equalization.

It turn out, by its nature of non adjustability the Pioneer DJM is a semi-parametric EQ, though that does not shed any light on the type of filters used for each EQ band.

A&H does me the favor of telling me that their low and high pass EQ's are shelving filter, wheres the mid pass EQ (and in the case of 4 band, the mid-high, and mid-low) are peak filters, although it still doesn't mention the bandwidth.

I have a feeling I'm going to phone up Pioneer tomorrow morning so I can get to the bottom of these technical specifications.

And thank you for the questions, many minds will better find the path to truth than just one!

Why don't you just hook up the mixer to a mulitband RTA, run pink noise through it and see how and what frequencies are affected? That's what I do.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Why don't you just hook up the mixer to a mulitband RTA, run pink noise through it and see how and what frequencies are affected? That's what I do.
    That, my friend... is a very good idea.

That may be the only real way to measure what a mixers specific EQ parameters are set too if the manufacturer doesn't provide detailed specs.

I can post up wav files of Pink noise, Pink Tone(equal energy tones isocentered at 3rd octave points) & 1K sine wave all recorded at -20dbfs if somebody has a place I can host them.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast