Speakers, Amps, cables Oh My!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Speakers, Amps, cables Oh My!!

Ok I need some help from you guys and gals. I've been using my Dennon MC6k with my home stereo system for several months now. My home stereo system is pretty high end so ofcourse it sounds great. But next month my girlfriend wants to throw a birthday/holloween Party and wants me to DJ.

It will be a simple house party so I am thinking of going with some KRK Rokit 8 speakers but I am not sure what else I need... I'm sure I need some sort of amp?? Also will theses KRK speakers have good bass sound? As I mentioned before my home stereo system is pretty high end so I have a huge sub on the side along with the other speakers. I normally just go RCA from the Midi Controller to the front of the Home Reciever.

The KRK rp8s are usually fine for a small-mid size house party and the bass is pretty potent for their size. You don't need an amp since they're active (means they each have a built in amplifier).

Your best bet connection wise is to get a couple of XLR cables and use the Denon's balanced master out.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

One more question, is it worth going with the VXT-6 instead of the rokit 8's? Also if you guys have other suggestions as far as speakers/amp combos for a home environment please let me know. Thanks.

You should keep in mind that the KRK spekares are near-field monitors, they are not suitable as an improv PA system, as they're designed to have a flat frequency response, rather than colouring the sound fora pleasant listening experience.

Also, they are active speakers, which means that they do not need an amp, they will however require power.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    The KRK rp8s are usually fine for a small-mid size house party and the bass is pretty potent for their size. You don't need an amp since they're active (means they each have a built in amplifier).

Your best bet connection wise is to get a couple of XLR cables and use the Denon's balanced master out.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm now leaning towards VXT-6's and possibly the matching KRK 10s sub.

It'll just be for house party situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    You should keep in mind that the KRK spekares are near-field monitors, they are not suitable as an improv PA system, as they're designed to have a flat frequency response, rather than colouring the sound fora pleasant listening experience.

Also, they are active speakers, which means that they do not need an amp, they will however require power.
    Thanks Cyber, what would you suggest instead speaker wise?

Actually I kinda think they are suitable. I mean no one at a house party will give that much of a shit and it'll be better than the cheap-ass ripoff stereo someone's mum bought that normally gets used.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Speaking from experience, KRKs are not loud enough to make it over the party noisefloor. Yes, they're plenty loud when you're 5 feet away and there's no other noise, but they can't cover a whole house over the noise of 50 people. You should look into PA stuff.

Speaking from experience I've been at a party with over 200 people in 2 houses and they were deafeningly loud.

It depends entirely upon the model.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Speaking from experience, KRKs are not loud enough to make it over the party noisefloor. Yes, they're plenty loud when you're 5 feet away and there's no other noise, but they can't cover a whole house over the noise of 50 people. You should look into PA stuff.
    Really? I am going with the VXT8's. It'll be a small setting maybe 30 people

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Speaking from experience I've been at a party with over 200 people in 2 houses and they were deafeningly loud.

It depends entirely upon the model.
    Seems like the VXT8's would be a good choice?

Sadly there were so many people at this comedy skins style party that I couldn't actually get close enough to see what ones they were. They certainly were KRKs though. Same funny shape, black finish, yellow cone, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast