Slicer Effect - What Has it??
    Tech Mentor

Default Slicer Effect - What Has it??

I just watched a demo vid for the Twitch, and thought that the slicer effect is pretty darn cool. Are there other controllers besides the aforementioned one that have the slicer effect? What types of software/controllers can perform this effect?

There is a slicer effect in Tracktor. I use it a bit with my Maschine, but any midi-controller will do. I've made a mapping where all of the 16 buttons trigger a different slice-pattern (I have to change it a bit now that i discovered midi-pipe). Depending of which controller you have someone in here might have a slicer mapping for it. Or you can just make your own.
    13"MBP - VCI-100B - M-audio oxygen 8 - Maschine - Midi Fighter[DEAD] - Audio2Dj - KRK RP8

The slicer mode is an Itch feature.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Not that im aware of.. That slicer mode is very cool and unique to twitch.

Traktors got its own slicer fx but it way more random than twitchs. In traktor, it kind of just switches the pattern up randomly. With twitch, u have total control over how the loop is chopped up - sizes, ordering, shot ordering, etc.

I love the twitch slicer mode..
    I think there's a mapping around that emulates the itch slicer fairly well, but I might be wrong...
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Hey Kev,

I agree with u there.
    Traktor's still king of the DJ-software out there, atleast it is for me.
    Then again, the Slicer-mode is so fucking genius and cool to play with i think, that I want that working in Traktor, instead of Serato Itch only.
    Luckily, there are 2 guys on this forum, who are working on it at the moment, and prolly will have a working method, within this week, if not earlier.
    NOTE: The method they're working on, will basically work for ALL controllers. Just have to find yourself the buttons, to map this function to.

Check out http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...497#post383497 thread, and this one http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...t=28141&page=6 aswell

Also, totally agree with u on the All-in-one DJ-controllers...
    Either it'll be the Novation Twitch or the Vestax VCI-400 for me.

Yes, the Vestax VCI-400 is 4 decks, and has even more options to play with, but u'll pay 800 euro's for it.

The Novation Twitch is 2 decks, but can be used in 4 deck-mode aswell, but u have less knobs/buttons to play with. Still it has (almost) all the goodies onboard. And for 450 euro, u can buy one already.

€800 - €450 = €350 cheaper. That's almost 2 Novation Twitches
    Last edited by bascurtiz; 11-21-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Tech Mentor

Do other Itch controllers, for instance the VCI-300/VFX-1, have access to this effect?

watch and learn...
    NOTE: The method they're working on, will basically work for ALL controllers. Just have to find yourself the buttons, to map this function to.
    And, nope, Vestax VCI-300 nor the VFX-1 doesnt come with this function natively.
    'till this day, the only controller out there with native support of the slicer-mode, is infact the Novation Twitch.

See her in action, isn't she a beauty?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzSjUe_3iA
    Last edited by bascurtiz; 11-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.

i've just posted my latest midimasher mapping for the launchpad that simulates the twitch's slicer: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...657#post383657

it's fairly complete with animated pads, you can jump to any slice and if u hold down a slice then it loops on that one until u release.

it divides the bottom of page1 on the launchpad into two "twitch" style areas with 4 pages for hotcues, slicer, loops and beatjumps, so fairly twitch-ish

it hasn't had stacks of testing yet - but seems to work ok for me

edit: in theory the mapping isnt launchpad only, should work (with some tweaking) on any grid controller with led feedback
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    I never thought about it but is the slicer mode of twitch something that is made possible by the twitch controller itself (on-board processor) or is it a function of the itch software?
    afaik it's part of itch and i'm sure more controllers will be using it soon. i think the twitch is the most recent itch controller tho? at least with pads that could be used for a slicer anyway?
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

i got vdj to do something very similar a couple of months ago..

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/1509...to_try___.html
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!