I have a bunch of NI related questions, and I would really value some advice PLEASE.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have a bunch of NI related questions, and I would really value some advice PLEASE.

Ok, so im not going to be a tool but i do have some questions that I need some help with that I'm hoping your guys can give us a hand with.

I have bought some new equipment for a different style if dj'ing that i am used to. have played on vinyl and cdjs for 10 years and have found that i have gotten bored and have bought Traktor, NI x1, Xone 92 mixer and NI's Maschine.

My Questions are as follows:

1. At the mo i am using Traktor though the Audio 2 sound card from NI. Now i know that i will be wanting to use 4 decks and that for the time being this is not possible with the Audio 2, is this correct or can i map it so that i can use all four decks through the Xone 92?

2. If for question 1 i can not use the 4 decks, should i upgrade the sound card to the Audio 8 or the Audio 10? I will be wanting to use the Maschine for the step sequencing features when i play too, so (even though i don't know how yet) i will want to have the Maschine connected up to the sound card or my Mac so i can use it while dj'ing. Can Maschine work on an Audio 8 sound card or will i have to go all out and get the Audio 10?

3) Does Maschine just connect into the sound card for step sequencing or do i use the MIDI ports at the back? Im not a producer (well, not yet) and so i am a bit dim about if these are to be put into use somehow.

4) Im looking for an interesting mapping this i saw on this video below of Richie Hawtin using an X1, but he has a delay on the signal and then changes the frequency of the track making a mint ass noise. Does anyone know where that mapping is and what exactly he is doing because the quality of the video is a little poor to see what is going on. He does the effect at 1min 42sec.

Thanks for the help folks! It is most appreciated.

Tech Mentor

Before I get to your questions, I have one myself, that I also want answered immediately:

You actually spent over 2k on gear you don't have the slightest clue how to use? You must be reeeaally bored....

Quote Originally Posted by Shocon View Post

1. At the mo i am using Traktor though the Audio 2 sound card from NI. Now i know that i will be wanting to use 4 decks and that for the time being this is not possible with the Audio 2, is this correct or can i map it so that i can use all four decks through the Xone 92?
    To mix 4 decks with an external mixer, you need 4 stereo outs, meaning you need at least the Audio 8 interface.

2. If for question 1 i can not use the 4 decks, should i upgrade the sound card to the Audio 8 or the Audio 10? I will be wanting to use the Maschine for the step sequencing features when i play too, so (even though i don't know how yet) i will want to have the Maschine connected up to the sound card or my Mac so i can use it while dj'ing. Can Maschine work on an Audio 8 sound card or will i have to go all out and get the Audio 10?
    If you want to use Maschine in addition to the 4 decks, you need another stereo output, which means Audio 10 is the way to go.

3) Does Maschine just connect into the sound card for step sequencing or do i use the MIDI ports at the back? Im not a producer (well, not yet) and so i am a bit dim about if these are to be put into use somehow.
    I don't even know how you would want to connect Maschine into the sound card if not with a midi cable, but anyways.. Either you connect Maschine with a midi cable to your sound card, or you try routing midi directly from Traktor to Maschine.

well, you should have researched your gears first before buying them, instead of the audio 2, you should have gotten the audio 10 right away since you have a maschine, x1 and a 4 channel mixer.

you can connect the maschine to traktor using the audio 10 via MIDI
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Before I get to your questions, I have one myself, that I also want answered immediately:

You actually spent over 2k on gear you don't have the slightest clue how to use? You must be reeeaally bored..
    Aye, bored i am, with the classic form of dj'ing with vinyl that is. The equipment was a bargain actually. I got the Maschine and Xone 92 together from a friend for £650, a steal in my eyes. I have been gradually working my way over to a digital setting for sometime. Have always been a CDJ / Pioneer mixer kinda guy but thought as the offer for the Maschine and the Xone was on the table, I thought i would would be mad to turn it down.

True, I don't know how to use it yet, or how to set it up properly but that is why i came here, to ask the questions. No harm in that now is there.

Thanks

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Shocon View Post

4) Im looking for an interesting mapping this i saw on this video below of Richie Hawtin using an X1, but he has a delay on the signal and then changes the frequency of the track making a mint ass noise. Does anyone know where that mapping is and what exactly he is doing because the quality of the video is a little poor to see what is going on. He does the effect at 1min 42sec.
    It sounds like he is triggering a loop, then using one of the encoders on the X1 to control the TEMPO ADJUST parameter. Notice the loop speeds up and, of course with key turned lock off, the pitch rises too. Hope that helps...

You actually spent over 2k on gear you don't have the slightest clue how to use? You must be reeeaally bored....
    Bored and rich.

Holy hell

Guys... come on...
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

someones bored...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Well. He told you he was bored. He's probably accumulated some spare cash during his 10yrs of mixing, and instead of, say, going on a trip, he decided to spice up everything and just went out and bought. What's the problem with that?
    I just spent my life savings on a brand spanking new macbook pro, but nobody hates me for that.
    Be helpful for once? No?
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast