Pioneer HDJ 2000 Base question
    Tech Mentor

Default Pioneer HDJ 2000 Base question

Hi,
    I'm in Malaysia KL right know and found the HDJs for 70 € less than in Germany. I just bought them without testing, because I knew it's positive reputation from all around.
    Went straight to the Hotel to test them.

First Impression: I could hear things in songs that I never heard before. It's like new experience. But the Base sound was really weak.
    Does someone felt the same?
    I never used such expensive HP before. My "old ones" are WESC Oboe. I think they use Sennheiser parts. But compared to the HDJs they deliver a stronger base, which you can really feel. The HDJ base is really clear but you don't actually feel it, not even when I turn up the volume. The Mid and Hi tones are still louder.

So tell me your experience. If this is the style how "expensive" HP work, I may have to get used to it.

thanks so far
    J

I use Ultrasone DJ1 Pro and they are similar, very well defined bass, but no thump. I think they are designed that way to relieve fatigue. The non-pro DJ1 have more thump, but much less definition through the mids and highs.

I think it is just a question of taste and what you want to hear. You may or may not adapt to them, but you could easily sell them back in Germany if you don't get on with them.

Phil.
    MBP 10.6; Itch 2.2; Novation Twitch; TP 2.x; MF Classic; Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    Apogee Duet 2; Reason; Ableton 8; 49SL MkII; Maschine Mikro; Launchpad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jannick View Post
    Hi,
    The HDJ base is really clear but you don't actually feel it, not even when I turn up the volume. The Mid and Hi tones are still louder.
    If you were spinning in a club that had a real heavy bass system you would want to hear the mid's and hi's more in your headphones to compensate for that.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the replies!
    ya really good arguments,
    I already thought of the club situation.
    I think I'll stick to them, I like the range of new frequencies

I haven't tried the HDJ-2000 yet, but I was under the impression that they went for a slightly more accurate curve so that they'd also be slightly more useful for producing with.

If you want kick though try out the A&H's. I listened to a friends and I couldn't keep them on for more than 10 seconds it was pounding so hard.