Transporting Light Equipment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transporting Light Equipment

Hey all! I am investing in a light rig soon and need to know the best way to transport it! I want it to be manageable for one person with as few trips as possible back and forth from the car with an average sized automobile. Here is the gear I'm getting!

Capture.JPG

Go nuts and thanks in advance!
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Guru

Holy crap man. You're really investing into DJing. You've spent like over 10k in the past half a year o.o

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Holy crap man. You're really investing into DJing. You've spent like over 10k in the past half a year o.o
    You're darn tootin'! I'm extremely passionate about the music, so I'm going full bore on this thing and a well tuned light show is very important to me!

It's gonna cost ya but flight cases is where it's at. I use that same truss and t-bar system. My truss separates into two pieces I just leave all the lights connected to the truss and store it in a long flight case. So when you get to the gig, just connect the truss to the stands and your ready to go. I have a very similar setup to yours and it takes me about 20 mins to setup.

I use truss/speaker stand bags and heavy duty plastic totes with a built in interlocking lid. The totes are the ones retail stores use to ship their inventory in. They stack well and I can fit 4 at a time on my dolly. They were also free I used some 2inch foam to pad the fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    It's gonna cost ya but flight cases is where it's at. I use that same truss and t-bar system. My truss separates into two pieces I just leave all the lights connected to the truss and store it in a long flight case. So when you get to the gig, just connect the truss to the stands and your ready to go. I have a very similar setup to yours and it takes me about 20 mins to setup.
    Can you suggest some good places to get cases in CANADA. That is important. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    I use truss/speaker stand bags and heavy duty plastic totes with a built in interlocking lid. The totes are the ones retail stores use to ship their inventory in. They stack well and I can fit 4 at a time on my dolly. They were also free I used some 2inch foam to pad the fixtures.
    I work in retail! I know exactly the totes! What kind of bags???

So let me get this straight. You want us to research your gear and tell you what road cases to get? Sure, I'll do it but you've got to pay me for my time and I start at $50.00/hr. Let me know if you want to enter in to contract.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    So let me get this straight. You want us to research your gear and tell you what road cases to get? Sure, I'll do it but you've got to pay me for my time and I start at $50.00/hr. Let me know if you want to enter in to contract.
    I know what gear I want for my lighting and I know of a few things I could do to transport them, I'm just curious to see exactly which cases other people use to maybe get some more ideas for my transport and storage system.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FVEV7Aod0G0Asw
    I use 2 bags similar to the one linked above. One for light stands and another for speaker stands. Make sure you measure the stands and get a long one that is long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Hey all! I am investing in a light rig soon and need to know the best way to transport it! I want it to be manageable for one person with as few trips as possible back and forth from the car with an average sized automobile. Here is the gear I'm getting!

Capture.JPG

Go nuts and thanks in advance!
    Exciting!
    I'm doing something similar but rebuilding my setup piece by piece with LED lighting.

When I did this 20 years ago, it was tougher, since lights were heavier, only did 1 thing, etc.
    I didn't go with cases though - I was on more of a budget on the case end & didn't think it all though. I found Rubbermaid had some large containers with wheels on one end. Add some foam (hardware stores used to carry large mattress sized pieces of 6-8" thick foam). If you go that route, remember to find something with decent handles for when cases got a bit heavy. Sounds like you have some coin to drop, tho.

We used something similar to this: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091416

We travelled with a truck, since we had 6 of those large containers plus the stands & truss, plus the music equipment. Also, all our lighting was controlled via MIDI (embedded lighting control commands translated to DMX via NSI equipment). Happy to share any other random outdated info I may have.

BTW - I'm in Toronto currently, but I'm American so I play in the states (NY, NJ, MI, IL so far). It's easier to drive. I've flown with a few bits of my equipment, but frustrated with airline baggage policies. Current rig is small (very small comparatively), with only 2 stands right now. Smaller setup, but once again: happy to share whatever random info I have.

Will be following this thread because this information is great to discuss and discover the possibilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast