What's Nu Disco to you?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default What's Nu Disco to you?

The Nu Disco debate. To me, Nu Disco is a Pete Herbert or Greg Wilson track. What's your take on the genre?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I think it's a lazy term. It's just become a catch all term that people use to describe dance music that isn't really house enough to be house and is a bit more leftfield or downbeat. It's like when people called everything breakbeat.

I often hear house DJ's using the term to describe music that they don't really know how to categorise. I once heard a guy say Mr Scruff was nu-disco. The guy was a straight up Ibiza/big room/Ministry Of Sound kinda guy. Totally had no clue about anything other than that kind of house music.

Id's say Greg Wilson isn't nu-disco cus he's been playing what he plays since 1975. I don't even think his music sounds nu-disco.
    His most recent stuff is remixing a live band from Manchester - I've actually been asked to give some feedback on the tunes that he wants to remix (just sayin' ;-)

I think nu-disco and space disco are the same thing. I associate the rise of nu-disco with people like Lindstrom etc.

Schalenberg

Yeah, I completely agree. I mentioned Greg Wilson because of his newer remixes. I was asked to play "Nu Disco," which is why I'm curious to hear what others think. I want to go for that space disco sound, but then again, I'm not sure what they're expecting.

I consider Nu Disco to be similar to deep house, containing a lot more lyrics from popular songs that have been pitched down.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I consider Nu Disco to be similar to deep house, containing a lot more lyrics from popular songs that have been pitched down.
    See, that's what I'm thinking they're expecting. It's a little tricky. Don't wanna fuck it up, ya know?

Nu disco to me is funk with house backing beat kinda my take on it step below deep house between indie and funk

Benoit and Sergio- shake shake

Schalenberg

So maybe an hour of more disco/spacey stuff and then an hour of deep house-ish stuff?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I consider this more the whole "new deep house" sound to me.

Nudisco to me is a lot of 80s and disco edits, Dr Packer, Pete Hebert, Late Nite Tuff Guy, 80s Child Edits, Alan Mooney.

Junodownload has an amazing nudisco section if you're looking for stuff that's off the norm from beatport/traxsource.

songs that actually sound like disco lol
    That's all I've been playing all summer honestly. Of course depending on where you live it could be totally different.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    Nudisco to me is a lot of 80s and disco edits, Dr Packer, Pete Hebert, Late Nite Tuff Guy, 80s Child Edits, Alan Mooney.
    Your Nu Disco is definitely my Nu Disco. I love all of those dudes.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast