I've cut my Firebox (to cool it down)

Default I've cut my Firebox (to cool it down)

To prevent from hijacking unsuspecting threads, here it is:

I don't like my equipment to be running that hot and this summer was a bit too hot. So, few weeks ago I lightly modded Presonus Firebox sides to allow more natural airflow. Until now, it's been running pretty hot (for 1-2 years) and some users on the presonus forums have been complaining that their fireboxes might have fried themselves (but they were leaving them on all the time, even when computer was off).

A small hand-dremel would probably be the best ( if you have a steady hand ) but I did not have access to any.
    I used a large cutting-dremel-tool (used for steel cutting, not hand-held hobby one) with the cutting stone marked 115 x 1,6 x 22,23mm ( Image ). I also tried thinner ( 1.0 mm ) wheel but it was wobbling too much.
    Also you can just drill many holes. I think this method of mine ruined ( just a bit) the Faraday-cage protection that full-metal(-intact) enclosure has.

I've cut in-between the "ribs", along the recessed lines, but not all the way, leaving top and bottom (horizontal) support beams intact. This way, side panels are still tough to serve it's purpose (and they are important part of the firebox case).
    There are no fans, it is that much cooler just by being allowed to exchange hot air naturally. Aside from that, I did not find a place where I'd tap into the power supply to insert fan (although I did not really try to hard). I think you don't want fan inside it, since it might introduce noise into the circuitry.

It is a minor mod but a lifesaver (hope it extends firebox's life). Sides got a bit scratched in the process but it is a small price to pay for a chilled-out soundcard.

Story: The other day I was playing in a cramped booth and only place I could put the firebox was on top of a amplifier. When amp gets hot, firebox get extra warmth, not a pleasant thought. Anyway, with this mod, it was all nice and peachy.

My cool-cat:
    Last edited by ToS; 10-06-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

A drill bit would have worked just as well, but probably wouldn't have looked as cool.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

nice.. one might do this to my fb as well..
    is it sufficient to remove the 4 srews on the top & bottom?
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Just the 2 pairs of screws form the top and bottom, yes.
    Please:
    - make sure you thoroughly clean any metal leftovers after you are done
    - don't cut top & bottom rails as they are very important for the case structure
    - post pictures of the work after you are done (my pics are low quality)
    - make sure you don't spill drink on your firebox on your next party

Like I said, drilling would probably be better for the sake of preservatiion of Faraday-cage RF protection.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Nice write up of the mod, by clearing I meant the cutting between the "ribs" of the firebox. Not sure I have access to the necessary tools, though if I decide to try this I might be able to get access to my university's metalworking shop via some friends in engineering. Gonna have to look into that faraday cage protection stuff first.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Two more (better) pics.

Awesome mod. Great work.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Thanks, it is still running. Sometimes for a few days in a row with minimal heat buildup.