Affordable Setup for Serato
    Tech Convert

Default Affordable Setup for Serato

Hi, I'm just getting into DJing, coming from producing/engineering side of music. I've been learning from a DJ in my area, learning/researching online, and I think it's time to get some gears for my setup. I'm hoping to do this professionally in the long run, but at the same time, somewhat limited in budget (around $1000) as I'm just starting out.

I've tried VDJ, Traktor, and Serato, and decided to go for SSL or Itch due to their user-friendliness. But on the other side, they seem to have the least amount of options available for the setup (especially affordable ones). I'm considering either buying Xone Dx for all-in-one solution, or getting a SSL setup with SL1 (which I can get for $300 used), and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for affordable setup for SSL.

I'll be mainly doing Top40/EDM, planning on not using any vinyl/cds as sources for music - so it seemed somewhat pointless/expensive to get CDJs.

I've seen DDM 4000 as good affordable mixer, maybe used with Denon DN-SC2000.
    Also I'm wondering if it's possible to use SL1 + something like VCI 100 MK2 at all.

I'd really appreciate anyone's input,

If you're going down the Serato route I'd get an all in one solution like the VCI-300. And if the VCI-300 is where you head, I'd suggest you turn around, have a think, then buy a Traktor Kontrol S4. So much more to play with and all included in the price (software, hardware, soundcard).
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If your set on Serato you could get that $300 SL1 and set of used Technics for $500, that gives you $200 left to get a mixer and if your patient you could probably find decks, mixer and coffin for the left over $700.

What about the NS7. It's just a tad over your budget, but a nice all in one solution. I will point out that I've seen quite a few guys that had the NS7 switching to the S4 though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Read my sig – I’ve been using Itch for a bit and love it. I also just go the S4 and for 899.00 nothing on the market comes close.

Itch – If your going to go that route I would wait until after January. Serato is supposed to release a new update soon most likely at Winter NAMM, Numark already leaked a hit on Skratchworx that a new 4 deck controller was on its way. The NS7 is a beast – if this controller is of similar quality it will kick some ass. The DX has had some issues and the jogs are not touch sensitive. For the money I wouldn’t go near it. The VCI-300 is what I’ve been using for a while. I think it’s the closest thing to two decks and a mixer. The platters are awesome….you can get a used one fairly cheap. 450.00 – down side is that to have any effects you need to get a VFX-1 and it’s 250.00 and the effects in Itch are not all threat. That’s supposed to change with the new update. Bottom line: either spend 450.00 on a used VCI-300 and start messing around or wait till the beginning of the year.

Serato Scratch Live (SSL)– 1000.00 is gonna be tough. With SL1 you only need 2 channels. So no need for a DDM4000 unless you just like the mixer. For the price it’s a bargain and has some good reviews “for the price”. SSL platters will not work with many controllers. I could be wrong but they only support a few CDJ’s like the CDJ 2000. So the Denon SC2000 is out of the question so is the VCI. DDM4000 – 350.00 SSL 300.00 that leaves you 350.00. Maybe a pair of cheaper turntables not Technics. Either way for 1000.00 your getting some rather cheapy equipement. I personally would rather have a 450.00 VCI-100 if I really wanted the serato set up.

S4 – it’s a beast man. For the money nothing comes close. The advantage that Itch has over the S4 is that it IS very streamlined and makes it a ton of easy to use and operate fun. Feature wise it’s missing the bells and whistles but the stacked waveforms, colore wave forms and the way you can grid are far superior to Traktor. Serato is supposed to be ramping up to drop an Itch update including integration with Ableton “The Bridge”. So this is going to be interesting because the S4 has set a VERY VERY high bar for them to reach.

SSL – save a little more cash
    Itch – either wait a few months or get a used VCI for cheaps
    S4 – it’s awesome and it’s 899
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

this is my opinion.....

why would u use serato if your not going to spin TT? if you going to use a controller then go with traktor.

i have 2 technics 1200m3d serato sl1 and a vestax pmc 07 mixer. i spin the same music as you but also scratch.

serato is great for scratching and using TT. it is very basic and really handle scratching well. but thats why the program is so basic theres only so much u can do with an interface that is for a turntable.

even using a cdj u would get more benefit from using traktor.

u should jump over to djforums.com too and have a talk.

i spent 300 on used sl1
    500 for a pair of technics used
    300 on a mixer if u can save another 100 and get a 300 price range mixer would be better

and over time ull end up spending another 200 on needles if u get shure m44-7 and new control vinyl

if u like the vinyl and the feel of the absolute control then get some TT (and ull have room to scratch if u ever get around to it)

another downfall about TT is that most clubs use cdj.... so unless u wanna lug around ur equipment ur going to learn how to use a cdj too. which isent hard if u learn on TT u can pretty much dj on anything. imo

if u just want to mix music get a controller or cdj

Tech Convert

I appreciate all your answers. So for the money, everyone seems to recommend S4 with Traktor, one thing that kills me about it is that it doesn't have stacked/colored waveforms, and interface of the software seems complicated. From those who use Traktor, is there any inconvenience from not having stacked waveforms/how do you deal with it? Is there any feature Traktor offers that aids you in some other way, or do you just DJ without visual aids?

One thing I really liked about SSL/Itch is that it is very user friendly, but I wouldn't mind spending some time into the software if I'd be able to DJ with it better in the long run.

On the other side, I'm thinking maybe I should get a used VCI-300 and wait to see what happens at the NAMM, as I could possibly have more options with Live, which I'm comfortable with... Only reason I was looking into SSL was due to more features than Itch, I wonder if Itch could get more features next year..

After some thought and more researching I think I'm in the middle between Itch with hopes for future and Traktor.. and slowly starting to think maybe S4 would be better since I know what's there as to Itch that I can only speculate.
    Last edited by sktsage; 11-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.