slipmats for scratching.. want more grip than butter rugs..
    Tech Mentor

Default slipmats for scratching.. want more grip than butter rugs..

Just started scratching.. have an old pair of butter rugs + old pair of some generic thick mats.

Have determined I like the backspins with the butter rugs but want a quicker pick up when I release the record. Are there slipmats that split the difference between the two?

Tech Mentor

Super combos!

Thick mats on top and butter rugz, or greaseproof or something similar underneath (or even multiple layers).
    I have done extensive testing in this area using zomo, technics or vestax mats on top with baking parchment, greaseproof paper, wax paper, Teflon sheets, PTFE sheets, tracing paper, plastic record sleeves, shiny record sleeves and inserts, shiny plastic packaging and A4 writing paper underneath in different combinations, as I learned on a set of vestax decks with v.little torq.

Stay away from waxed paper as it leaves a residue on the platter or thicker mats as the wax rubs off

The thinner the paper, the slippier they are generally speaking. The Teflon was the slippiest followed by the PTFE, the papers then the plastics, for me. Giving the platter a polish with some Mr Sheen made quite a difference too.

Teflon, PTFE and multiple layers of paper under normal mats are too slippy for me with MK5Gs now but worked well with my old Vestax decks.
    I find the Zomos with a sheet of baking parchment give the right amount of slip and grip for me atm.

Get some Trip Mats, just a bit thicker than Butter Rugs.

Just flip the butter rugs upside down and see if that helps, if you don't want to buy more slip mats.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I use glowtronics and they are pretty good imo. And pretty cool when playin in dark areas
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

I got the new dr suzuki serato mix edition mats, quite expensive but EASILY the best mats i have ever bought, thick, grippy, but has a layer of plastic on the bottom of em for scratching.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I got the new dr suzuki serato mix edition mats, quite expensive but EASILY the best mats i have ever bought, thick, grippy, but has a layer of plastic on the bottom of em for scratching.

Yea, after some investigative research on my own.. I decided to give these a try. Ordered a pair on ebay for $30 today..

I use glowtronics with butter rugs on top. The perfect feel for me.
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

am I the only one who turns the butter rugs upside down? heh, just curious; for me it keeps the mat superthin but gives me grip thanks to the felt side.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Cool **best slips / grips / controLES**

takes a little work and a few $$$ but it's worth it..

depending on the brand / table, you may have to hit the bare platter with a high grit sandpaper like 2000# (then wet/dry)
    personally, I use butter rugs with the dr suzuki plastic, not the mat itself.. I always used custom made *soft felt matts*

but these three techniques combined would make even the wackest belt drive catch and release while the platter
    barely slows in speed.. --->check it out for yourself
    1-8oo