So um... how do I DJ a wedding???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So um... how do I DJ a wedding???

So a local DJ I met recently offered to let me fill in the spots he can't, but I gotta start with weddings... which I've never done.

I'm currently downloading cheezy wedding music because I know I have to lol. I know what I need to play, but I'm wondering what to start with, what to end with?

And how do I mix all this stuff together when it's such a drastic range of genres?

All I've done so far is house music, any advice?

Tech Mentor

Lol ya I wanna know as well...

how the hell do you even mix that stuff...

Tech Mentor

I would imagine just do a quick crossfade between songs like you would do with some hip hop mixes and most rock tracks. Maybe some looping too.. be creative.

Exactly as RT31784 said, think of it like a top 40 radio station rather than a club. Except, you have to have the top 40 for the last 50 or so years, because depending on what the age range is influences what era you play the most. Plus, you're going to get requests for all the old classic cut ups like the twist, macarena, electric slide, and all the other cheesy but appropriate stuff. As they get drunker, play the cheesier stuff, but you can start out the night with just about anything.

Beatmatching can usually fall to the wayside, unless you've already warmed them up, have the floor filled, and want to take them for a ride. Other than that, it's basically keep it popular, and positive.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by RT31784 View Post
    I would imagine just do a quick crossfade between songs like you would do with some hip hop mixes and most rock tracks. Maybe some looping too.. be creative.
    I had one person suggest I be as 'traditional wedding DJ' as possible, and there's no way I can go wrong... but the idea of that crushes my soul

Exactly as RT31784 said, think of it like a top 40 radio station rather than a club. Except, you have to have the top 40 for the last 50 or so years, because depending on what the age range is influences what era you play the most. Plus, you're going to get requests for all the old classic cut ups like the twist, macarena, electric slide, and all the other cheesy but appropriate stuff. As they get drunker, play the cheesier stuff, but you can start out the night with just about anything.

Beatmatching can usually fall to the wayside, unless you've already warmed them up, have the floor filled, and want to take them for a ride. Other than that, it's basically keep it popular, and positive.
    I agree that beatmatching can probably fall by the wayside, seeing that song placement and timing might be more important at a wedding.

I guess I'll just have to work on my library and eventually jump in the water

You should find out how old the couples being married are...this will help you out quite a bit

I'm just starting out doing little local things with my cousin also to get used to reading the crowd and everything. I love tearing it up with some Electro House or something similar but I was doing a 13 yr. olds bday with all the parents there. I got requests ranging from Judas Priest and Gucci Mane to Will Smith and Justin Bieber. In the beginning I tried to beatmatch everything as much as I could then 1/2 way through I realized no one cared if it was beatmatched as long as I was playing what they wanted just a quick switch from deck 1 to 2 kept them happy I'm sure it's the same with your situation. Although I wasn't mixing as much as I was just switching the the fader they loved it and have us coming back for 2 more of their parties in the near future

I started out as a mobile DJ and it is rough. You really have to honor requests and instead of having a manager (like in a club), you are the only person who can deal with unruly patrons and deciding a format.

The best tip I can give you is to ask the bride and groom to write down 50 songs they must hear and 50 songs they absolutely do not want to hear. The first 50 should give you an idea of what type of genres to get more of and have you covered if people complain that you play Gorillaz when there are 50% silverhairs. The second 50 give you a reason to avoid certain songs and genres. If the bride and groom don't want the chicken dance, the drunk uncle can't complain when he has his pabst hovering over your laptop.
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

You have to be the pro in this situation. When you put a song on, you need to know it will work for that group. Best advice I can give is to talk with the couple and see what type of event they want to put on. Some people want to have a club scene, and some want a super long social hour (aka lots of background music).

When it comes to mixing, you have to feel out the crowd. Just doing a set won't cut it at a wedding. You have to play what they like and make it work. You will get crap requests and unruly guests, but how you handle it shows your expertise. Keep your chin up, smile, and just say "I'll see what I can do..."

I would argue that weddings are one of the hardest areas for a DJ to master.

Tech Student

Couldn't agree more to tom. Wedding are the testing periods for a DJ. My suggestion will be just surf around a the Internet and you can find plenty of songs, take a couple of them and have a word with the couple, whose wedding you have been assigned for. Ask them what are their likes and the members attending the wedding. Also let them have an idea of the collections you have. This will not only clear the clouds from your mind, but also have a better image of professionalism built in the mind of the couple about you. Good luck!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast