Newbie with a question about digital audio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Newbie with a question about digital audio

Hey everyone, my name is Shawn and I am trying to get into DJing. It's actually my daughter getting into it and I am having fun working with her and learning as well. She is 15 for another couple minutes. Turns 16 on the 13th. She has a quicerienea she is performing at next weekend. They have requested many songs we don't have. What is the best way to get the music in a high quality format? From what I understand, places like iTunes won't have the 320K songs and I looked at Beatport and they seem to have higher quality but the conditions say personal use only. Where can you get high quality digital downloads for DJ use? Thinking about just buying the albums to rip....but because we are starting out don't want to spend too much on an album when we need 1 song.
    Shawn

Tech Wizard

Oh, another question I had was many of the songs they requested have the standard and a clean/radio edit version. They said the explicit lyrics were fine, but I am planning on using clean copies if at all possible. What is the standard protocol for this? Don't want to get into trouble playing non-edited versions with minors around, but was told that they the explicit versions aren't that bad and they likes those by the customer.
    Shawn

Tech Guru

iTunes, Amazon are both fine for what you are doing. The musical taste of teenagers has the shelf life of a banana. Do not spend a lot of money or stress too much about this music.

Longer term, a service like Prime Cuts might be a good investment. The download option uses mp3@320kbps.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

Thanks. I will look into Prime Cuts. Does that allow for "commercial use" downloads? And, initially, I will look at Amazon and iTunes.
    Shawn

Tech Wizard

SIM DJ, sorry for the delayed response. I have read and appreciate the reply. I haven't got to 5 posts on the board, so they are delayed. I need a mod to review before it is posted.
    Shawn

Tech Wizard

Record pool services are nice for long term use. If you're spending more than $20~$30 monthly on music it may be worth taking a peek.
    Current - 4x CMD PL-1, 1x CMD MM-1, Focusrite Saffire 6, V-Moda M100s, HD25-1-II's, Traktor 2
    Past - Numark Mixtrack, NS6, NV, Serato DJ up to v1.8.1

Tech Wizard

Record pool services...I'll look into that as well. Thanks.
    Shawn

Whats a quicerienea?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

iTunes files are 256kbps AAC which are as good (in some cases better depending on the mastering) than 320kbps MP3

Amazon however are 256k MP3
    Last edited by deevey; 01-14-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
    Oh, another question I had was many of the songs they requested have the standard and a clean/radio edit version. They said the explicit lyrics were fine, but I am planning on using clean copies if at all possible. What is the standard protocol for this? Don't want to get into trouble playing non-edited versions with minors around, but was told that they the explicit versions aren't that bad and they likes those by the customer.
    You are thinking along the right track. So, at this point, trust your instincts.

Prime Cuts only provides the "radio edits" of songs. That takes care of the "seven words you can't say on TV" but does little to help issues of "theme" and "thinly veiled" references to sex, drugs, (and rock & roll).

With "teenagers" you will be able to hear the eye rolls as you play the radio edits instead of the explicit album versions of songs they already know. The parents will likely appreciate any effort you put into self censorship. But you will not make all the grandmothers happy, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
    Thanks. I will look into Prime Cuts. Does that allow for "commercial use" downloads? And, initially, I will look at Amazon and iTunes.
    Yes. Prime Cuts (and other similar services) does allow for "commercial use."

BUT, any "legally purchased" music is "close enough" to be used by a DJ for a private party. Although not explicitly licensed for commercial use, RIAA has given a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" that if the music has been legally purchased from a pool service, legal downloads, ripped from CDs that you still have, etc....that they are not interested in legally pursuing those cases. It's a bit unsettling, but it is the best assurance that "we" (as an industry) are likely to get.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Whats a quicerienea?
    It's a "Sweet 15" party popular in Mexican and Latin American cultures.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast