Lower the kicks in a song
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Lower the kicks in a song

Hey, I have this problems with the kicks in some of my house tracks. If I wan't to play them at the same time it sounds like the kicks are in top of eachother, wich sounds really bad. I've tried to set up as good beatgrids as possible using a tutorial on youtube, but sometimes it still sounds bad. When I press "Tick", should I then hear the tick on top of the kick or should I not hear it at all?

Please help, best regards Jack H.

The tick and the kick should blend into one sound if in phase. They will both be audible. If you don't spend the time to beatgrid or don't do it correctly you will need to pitch bend one of the tracks to be what Traktor believes is out of phase.

Tech Guru

if you dont set your beat grids correctly thatll happen, try fixing your beat grids and then try syncing. If not then just beatmatch by ear or learn how to or w.e

If your beatgrids are set correctly then you might be mixing some songs that just dont sound good together or you have to brings down the lows on one of the tracks and mess around with the EQs

^^^this
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Sounds like things are slightly out of phase or your gains are too high. I'd bet the former, but I can't quite imagine what you're describing. Worst thing I've heard like that is when kicks would phase each other out of the mix and make the bottom end sound thin…but that really only happens if producers are all using the same kick sample and it's insanely easy to fix with a tiny nudge.

Also, what tutorial is this? You shouldn't be using the metronome to beat-grid…the graphics are significantly more precise than your ears are.

I'm pretty sure it was a dubspot tutorial that said this which made it way more complicated than it needs to be.

I just turn auto grid on and adjust if needed. Usually it's spot on and if it's not it's usually because it's started at the wrong transient and is off by a couple beats. I just delete the grid and press the grid button and place it on the first kick and then the rest is fine and you may need to nudge it slightly. It's very rare that the bpm is wrong and if it is it usually just needs to be doubled. There's no need to ever bother with the metronome- if something is really a pain just sync it with another track to test.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Tech Wizard

Okey, but I never use the sync function and still I got this sound like when they are on top of eachother, maybe I just have to be more patient when I place the beat grid.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jack H View Post
    Okey, but I never use the sync function and still I got this sound like when they are on top of eachother, maybe I just have to be more patient when I place the beat grid.
    if you dont use the sync function then you have no use for setting beat grids. So are you doing it by ear or not?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by losxc451 View Post
    if you dont use the sync function then you have no use for setting beat grids. So are you doing it by ear or not?
    Beat grids are good to have even if you aren't syncing. A lot of the fx rely on a proper grid.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by J5k View Post
    Beat grids are good to have even if you aren't syncing. A lot of the fx rely on a proper grid.
    yes that i know, but his problem is with the kicks which has to mean something is off lol Im confused now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast