Traktor Tricks

Thread: Traktor Tricks

Tech Mentor

Default Traktor Tricks

Just thought I'd share a couple of handy things I've found in Traktor. Post any other not so obvious features you've found too!

1. When you're beat-gridding, using the provided buttons to stretch the grid can take ages to get the grid to make any significant movement. On the other hand, clicking and dragging the BPM box can be too crude. However, if you click on the stretch buttons with the right mouse button then it jumps in lots of 0.01 rather than 0.001 allowing you to skip through the BPM a lot faster

2. Unfortunately this only works with a mouse but if you click on a knob with the right mouse button and drag it, then you get a "ghost" marker. You can drag this marker to any value you like and then when you left click the mouse, the knob will jump to that value and stay there for as long as you hold the mouse down. Depending on which mouse button you let go first, the knob will either jump back to its original position or stay where it is.

3. Again another mouse trick (I do have a controller!), if you're adjusting values of knobs with the mouse, moving it left and right gives you finer control over the parameter then moving it up and down. Probably not that useful in Traktor as most knobs only go to 100 so you don't need the fine control but most VST synthesizers use this trick as well.

And there you go, not sure if this stuff is common knowledge so if you already know sorry.
    Last edited by fellis; 06-20-2010 at 08:32 AM.

1 : right-clicking is enough

Tech Mentor

Ahh cheers for that, only worked it out today haha
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Addendum on 1 : if you hadn't noticed, that same trick also works on the buttons you nudge the grid back/forth with. Haven't bothered testing on other things.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djfletch View Post
    2. Unfortunately this only works with a mouse but if you click on a knob with the right mouse button and drag it, then you get a "ghost" marker. You can drag this marker to any value you like and then when you left click the mouse, the knob will jump to that value and stay there for as long as you hold the mouse down. Depending on which mouse button you let go first, the knob will either jump back to its original position or stay where it is.
    I get the ghost image when I right click and drag, but I cant do this as I only have on big, smooth, multi touch sensitive button on my magical mouse. What? Who cares what kind of computer I have? I think I'm going to go eat an Apple now.

Okay, heres the chance for all the PC guys to finally say "get a PC" or at least get a two button mouse

Great tips!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

yeah I have a mac but I always plug a multi-button windows mouse into it when I use it
    Last edited by fellis; 06-20-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Haha well if it really is the "magic" mouse, you can right click just fine. But if not you can hold the control key and click. Or, yeah, get a mouse with more buttons...