Are record deals a big deal

Default Are record deals a big deal

Are record deals a big deal? what are your thoughts... to some its no different then getting your drivers license to others its like winning the lottery...

If you have a good relationship with good labels, yes. They take care of marketing and all the other boring stuff so you could spend more time in the studio. Nobody makes much money from recorded music today, anyway. Gigs, however, you could make a living from those revenues.

Tech Guru

Associating yourself with a good record label would be a big advantage especially in the electronic music scene. I listen to allot of new music by browsing artists on record labels I like on Facebook and download sites.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    Associating yourself with a good record label would be a big advantage especially in the electronic music scene. I listen to allot of new music by browsing artists on record labels I like on Facebook and download sites.
    to me it felt like business as usual when i signed in dec 2010. i was always curious as to how others felt. but i am Loving seeing my name stuff on beatport

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    They take care of marketing and all the other boring stuff so you could spend more time in the studio. Nobody makes much money from recorded music today.........Gigs, however, you could make a living from those revenues.
    I have released a LOT since 2004. (Minimal Techno/Tech House) No cash made at all......... But It can get you gigs.

Think of it as a portfolio and good label will help to promote you. Promoters do take notice of what you have released as it is an indication of your talents. Also the labels will have good designers and mastering engineers to polish that sound and present you in a much higher level.

I'm a mastering engineer.......... so I know this shit.......... I have good relationships with labels... Unfortunately or fortunately I know the industry inside and out.... it comes down to marketing really at the end of the day. If the label can afford to grease a few hands... like a PR company then you are laughing. The PR company then pushes the music into the right hands......... even if it shit. lol

I choose to be very, very underground with my personal releases.... not into all the bullshit that can come to the darkside of the biz.

Choose one label and get a good relationship with them..........

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post
    I have released a LOT since 2004. (Minimal Techno/Tech House) No cash made at all......... But It can get you gigs.

Think of it as a portfolio and good label will help to promote you. Promoters do take notice of what you have released as it is an indication of your talents. Also the labels will have good designers and mastering engineers to polish that sound and present you in a much higher level.

I'm a mastering engineer.......... so I know this shit.......... I have good relationships with labels... Unfortunately or fortunately I know the industry inside and out.... it comes down to marketing really at the end of the day. If the label can afford to grease a few hands... like a PR company then you are laughing. The PR company then pushes the music into the right hands......... even if it shit. lol

I choose to be very, very underground with my personal releases.... not into all the bullshit that can come to the darkside of the biz.

Choose one label and get a good relationship with them..........
    i have a decent relationship with the label i am signed to when i signed i told them i want to take care of all album art work seeing as i am a designer as well and i too know all the dirty secrets of the recording industry hell my manager has been in the business for almost 50 years

lol and about getting paid... i think the label owes 4 dollars and change hahaha