Windows Partition/Virtual PC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows Partition/Virtual PC

Ok so i have a Laptop the runs Windows 7. Never had any sound glitches, pops, crackles etc and the only time Traktor has crashed was when i used a usb HUB once.

However, ive read about lots of people setting up a partition on their hard drive specifically for Traktor use and its got me spooked into thinking i need to do the same.

I have ZERO technical capabilities where PC's are concerned so im really vervous of doing this so ive read about Windows Virtual PC which may be an easier and safer option.

Dont really have any questions im just really looking for advice/pointers/a shoulder to cry on if any of this goes wrong!!! or should i just leave everything as it is and stop acting like a girl!!!

MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

tbh, if the system is fine then you prob don't really need to do it. i did that in the dark days of TP1 when windows sucked at running traktor 'properly' (also my laptop is shit).
    now with TP2 it's kind of redundant

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Its your fault im thinking of doing it!!!!

If its good enough for Brad its good enough for me!!!

lol. where is stoke on trent? might be able to come give a hand...

SoundCloud

HAHA about an hour further on from birmingham!! I cant believe you've never been. its a hot bed of commerce and activity!!! (its not. it was actually voted the worst place to live in the uk a few years ago but has recently moved to 12th worst).

going up in the world

just so you know, i removed the partition and went back to 1 boot when upgrading to TP2. partly cos i'd stripped it that much i couldn't activate it online as would need a reinstall of windows for networking to work - yes i went a bit far...

now have 2 users in 1 boot, one for traktor - with shell hack - and one normal. this might be better way to go... shell hack is explained in that blog entry you found, or search 'streamline your pc' on djtt homepage

SoundCloud

Cool I'll get some reading done. Sorry to be a pain man but doesn't a shell hack still use a partition? I really should get some reading done!!!

A virtual machine is a terrible idea. The whole point in having a partition is to increase performance but virtual machines put a lot of strain on your system and are unstable.

Installing 2 OSs is easy providing you still have the windows installation disc. Just reformat everything, partition your hard drive into 2 little sections, install the os on each one and leave a huge section for all your files and crap. Then pick one and cut all the crap out and install traktor or whatever.

I wouldn't do this unless you have done it before though, could be a real headache if you screw it up (though it is easy as pie).

Also I'd install windows xp for use with traktor, it's much less bloated.

P.S. anyone know where the hell I can get a clean windows xp disc these days? I swear they don't exist.

Tech Guru

Who remembers that book crap towns... The town I grew up in huntingdon in cambridge was like number 2 for a couple years
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Cool I'll get some reading done. Sorry to be a pain man but doesn't a shell hack still use a partition? I really should get some reading done!!!
    shell hack is done at a user level not at a system level. can be system, but the one blogged here (and i reblogged in my thing) does it at a user level

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    installing 2 OSs is easy providing you still have the windows installation disc. Just reformat everything, partition your hard drive into 2 little sections, install the os on each one and leave a huge section for all your files and crap. Then pick one and cut all the crap out and install traktor or whatever.
    you don't need to wipe it all first

create the partition in disk management part of the mmc et voila. also the 7 & vista install disks have this option if you're feeling lazy...

SoundCloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast