Levels (not the overplayed song)
    Tech Wizard

Default Levels (not the overplayed song)

Yo!

I just need to check something really small. When the volume is in the yellow, near the top, is it bad? I know when its in the red it's clipping, but I wanted to check where the yellow was at for this.

Thanks!

red bad, yellow good, green great always remember a great sounding mix is always better then a loud mix, that goes for production as well

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    red bad, yellow good, green great always remember a great sounding mix is always better then a loud mix, that goes for production as well
    While this is true to an extent... at least for production it is important that your mix sounds good while also being loud.

Quote Originally Posted by rdubs View Post
    While this is true to an extent... at least for production it is important that your mix sounds good while also being loud.
    If you can't have your mix loud enough when your levels are just tickling the yellow, then your system is underpowered or your gain staging is improperly set up.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    If you can't have your mix loud enough when your levels are just tickling the yellow, then your system is underpowered or your gain staging is improperly set up.
    amd don't confuse clipping with compression. Google it and learn about compression audio.

@loverocket,

Were you talking to me or the OP? My statement has nothing to do with compression. For reinforcement a compressor only comes into play near the end of the audio chain and after it leaves the mixers master out. Compression can and is used earlier in the chain for production, however.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

@loverocket,

Were you talking to me or the OP? My statement has nothing to do with compression. For reinforcement a compressor only comes into play near the end of the audio chain and after it leaves the mixers master out. Compression can and is used earlier in the chain for production, however.
    sorry. i was talking to OP. Sometimes people think louder means cranking all the levels to red. Compressions "sounds" louder but is actually .. well you know.

Tech Mentor

I should have phrased this differently, your mix should SOUND loud without peaking for the sake of preserving dynamics. I do mastering as well as production and a lot of people send me their tracks and they are so concerned about staying out of the red and not touching the limiter that their tracks are horribly quiet in comparison to most.

Quote Originally Posted by rdubs View Post
    yes i should have added that

depending on the mixer, you want to aim for maybe one bar under red as your peak level, with all eq's zeroed.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "