A friend's take on the house music discussion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default A friend's take on the house music discussion

So a lot has been made of the current state of house music lately. I thought I would share a friend's take on it. He has been playing house music since the '80's and has seen artists/groups come and go. Interesting to see a less dramatic tone taken by someone who is truly "old school" compared to those who are not.

"Everyone needs to stop freaking out about Guetta, Calvin Harris, and the like killing "house" music. There has always been pop "house" that bubbled up from the underground. While we were digging 808 State, Derrick May, and A Guy Called Gerald back in the late 80's, the world was dancing to Technotronic "Pump Up The Jam" and Snap "Rhythm is a Dancer" -- and thinking it was house. There will always be producers, artists, and corporate types that will take what the cool kids like and water it down, make it simple and formulaic, and give it a pop make over for the masses. Over produced mega house with guest R&B / Hip Hop vocalist and recycled "underground" samples (Pit Bull, Aviccii) is just today's version of what has been happening in dance music for the last 30 years, folks. Frankly, I would rather the mainstream club goers be dancing to this than really bad radio hip-hop."
    Like · · 2 hours ago near Bowie ·

9 people like this.

Lg Concannon: "Some people who are finding the joys of the dance floor because they love the radio friendly up beat mega-house with vocals and samples they instantly recognize... well some of them will start to dig a little deeper, learn the history of the music, and their palate will develop, and one day they will look back and say, "how did I ever listen to this?". Others will be happy to hear songs they know and can sing along too at the club, meet the man/girl of their dreams, get married, and leave clubland far behind -- only to have fond memories of the dance pop of their youth."

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

10 people like this.

i knew house music has been around since the 80's everybody was telling me no. it was early 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    i knew house music has been around since the 80's everybody was telling me no. it was early 2000.

What?

Very well worded. The problem is these people come to the DJ like they know WTF they're talking about.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

the problem is nobody's dancing. except at gay clubs.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    Very well worded. The problem is these people come to the DJ like they know WTF they're talking about.
    But because we can beatmatch we know better than them? It's this kind of attitude, the kind flaunting a sense of superiority for whatever reason, that is causing all this useless debate and belittlement in the music, specifically EDM*, community.

*Waiting for someone to slam me for the use of 'EDM'
    "My friend's cat's hairdresser's botanist told me so." -Newg

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    This again?

People were only telling you that electro house has only been around since early 2000s because you kept saying electro house was invented in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by mfuchs19 View Post
    But because we can beatmatch we know better than them? It's this kind of attitude, the kind flaunting a sense of superiority for whatever reason, that is causing all this useless debate and belittlement in the music, specifically EDM*, community.

*Waiting for someone to slam me for the use of 'EDM'
    no it's because we know never to play Skrillex during happy hour.

>

Tech Mentor

DJ snobbery will always exisit and its the most prevelant on the forums. The funny thing is it usually comes the most from someone who has never played a gig outside of the 4 walls of their bedroom. The reason being is that they are such incredible Djs that they are too evolved for the masses and the masses of people just can't comprehend how great they are so it would be a waste of time to play outside of their bedroom. Shame on you to ever mention Guetta, Calvin Harris, Skillrex, they are sellouts bla bla bla. The truth is, there isn't 1 person that wouldn't trade places with either of them. Anyone who says they wouldn't is full of crap. Its really easy to sit in your bedroom and post on a forum how you would rather stick pins in your eyes than to be like Guetta when there is zero chance it would ever happen. But I am quite sure that if the Palms called you and said we want to give you $25,000 a night to play EDM top 40, or to have a premixed set playing while you play with the EQs and the filters, that anyone would jump at that in 1/2 a second, if you say you wouldn't you're a liar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast