Genres - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genres

We can freak about how "ishkurs site isn't accurate" but seriously, who else has taken the time to really really work on developing a comprehensive guide to the genres?

I only offered up ishkurs as a reference tool (as ultimately the only reason genres exist is because we agree they exist). Your definitions may vary.

ultimately, we can just sit in awe that someone would take SO much time to build such a comprehensive guide that is very valuable as a teaching aid for those interested in the evolution of our music.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Wizard

Ok the site is nice.... I wil probably spend some more time on it

And Flaekiface,
    i mean it is pretty obvious that Techno is big while mnml is well minimalistic with beep and boop. But when you listen to Techno made my the Cocoon label, is that really sounding biiiggg? IDK but it doesnt for me.

And just to make sure: I know that you should spin what you d like to. And dont want to offend anybody's explanation, just trying to be critical

Thanks for all your answers already!

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post

Anyway, cross-genre pollonisation buzzword of the month:

Dubstepno (Dubstep and Techno)!
    hasn't there been "Deep-tech/ Dub-Techno" for a while?

don't ask me for examples

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverhex View Post
    Not to cut the forum short but there is always:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

But I'm sure its better to get some of DJTT to explain too.

Pretty cool bro. Dont know who they got to write the stuff. Other than that really interesting.

also ehhhh.................should I start i new thread on this dubstep genre??? I just dont get it.
    Last edited by tomii; 03-13-2009 at 09:13 PM.

there was no name to describe "heavy metal" till a rolling stone journalist described Jimi Hendrix's sound as "heavy metal crashing on the ground" (dunno if thats the exact quote but pretty close)
    I guess what i'm trying to say is its the listeners that basically "define" what a sub genre is labelled as, get a bit pathetic sometimes if you ask me. "No Man That aint house its 4-step-acid-dub tronic-tech-psy"
    I've always stuck to the basic 4 in dance music no matter what...Electronica, House, Trance, and Drum n Bass. The rest is just somantics lol. someone should draw up a music family tree
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    there was no name to describe "heavy metal" till a rolling stone journalist described Jimi Hendrix's sound as "heavy metal crashing on the ground" (dunno if thats the exact quote but pretty close)
    I guess what i'm trying to say is its the listeners that basically "define" what a sub genre is labelled as, get a bit pathetic sometimes if you ask me. "No Man That aint house its 4-step-acid-dub tronic-tech-psy"
    I've always stuck to the basic 4 in dance music no matter what...Electronica, House, Trance, and Drum n Bass. The rest is just somantics lol. someone should draw up a music family tree
    Word.

Tho personally I would put dubstep in a genre of its own as it doesnt reeeally fit under any of those except perhaps electronica, and even then not really.

Don't know much about that style personally, our warm up mixes it (badly) but i agree its hard to place that one, sorta ragga/big beat/DnB Mish Mash
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Don't know much about that style personally, our warm up mixes it (badly) but i agree its hard to place that one, sorta ragga/big beat/DnB Mish Mash
    Yeah pretty much, cant really place it tbh, as it can be made up of any sound or genre. Basically easiest way to define dubstep is "lots of sub-bass". Tho traditionally its quite minimal, with a 140 bpm 1/2 time beat, wobble-bass (full time) and heavy use of reverb.

In terms of origin came out of dark 2-step garage.. which came out of UK Garage, which came out of hardcore/jungle... which came out of Acid House.... which came out of Chicago House.

So you could stem it back to house I guess but its got more dub overtones (ie lots of reverb) then anything house... but tbh dubstep is such a mash of a genre it really can be made up of any style of sounds... or nearly any beat, tho it tends to be heavily syncopated.

True. Its certainly popular down these ways, just about every festival/ party has at least one act in that vein. Gotta love those subs what ever happened to the big drops in trance is what i wanna know, i miss those

personally ive always thought the only important genres within electronic music should defined by tempo and beat structure. other than that you can sub-genre to infinity, even to the extent that every song is a differernt sub-genre, which to me makes sub-genres irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast