Midi Controllers at Clubs??!!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Midi Controllers at Clubs??!!?

Hey guys. Ok, so i've been djing for a good minute. I have my own style, can mix decently, and I have a broad range of technology i can use. I also have my own gear. I play at a couple clubs here in Chicago (come check out my next show!) but my question here is really dedicated to other Dj's that Dj in clubs. I know the standard is the djm 800 which I use all the time, but here's my question: What do you think of Dj's bringing Midi controllers to use instead of the 800? I have been contemplating on bringing my S2 too the club for a while, but everytime i bring it up too my Dj friends, they kinda look down on that. The only thing I would like to use the s2 for is too use the FX and the pad cue points.

So Dj's I would like too know, what is your opinion on this???

((Btw my next event is http://www.facebook.com/events/228262710602301/ Come check it out!!))
    15 inch macbook pro - Traktor Kontrol S2 - Stanton T-60's - Traktor Audio 10
    I'm Dj Kave Check me out : )
    Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/djkave
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/djkavex Fan Page : )

over here in germany it is pretty common for dj´s to bring midi controller to the clubs. in the end it isn´t important what you use. only other dj´s will give a shit but the crowd is the thing you´re there for and they never complain about a dj using different technology.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

Are you afraid of being "looked down upon" by your DJ friends?

As long as you're not in anyone else's way or disconnecting all their equipment, bring whatever you want. It's becoming increasingly more common.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Are you afraid of being "looked down upon" by your DJ friends?
    Not looked down, I just don't want my reputation tarnished or such. You know how Dj's are to other Dj's, especially like scratch Dj's. Also, I don't want club owners looking at me funny for bringing a midi controller and thinking im not experienced or something.

Tech Guru

bring an X1 and use the DJM. What you are saying is how the scene is in Miami. Using an X1 and DJM is much more accepted than bringing a controller.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    bring an X1 and use the DJM. What you are saying is how the scene is in Miami. Using an X1 and DJM is much more accepted than bringing a controller.
    Yeah I was thinking about just grabbing one of those x1's. But the F1 coming out in April, I don't want too spend like the $200 on the x1 and then be shitty when the f1 comes out and is pretty dope.

slide an x1 beside the 800 and mix externally.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Kave View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about just grabbing one of those x1's. But the F1 coming out in April, I don't want too spend like the $200 on the x1 and then be shitty when the f1 comes out and is pretty dope.
    These controllers are quite different, you should ask yourself which one of them fits what you want to do better.

The F1 doesn't make the X1 obsolete at all.

@OT, i've used controllers over pio and allen mixers, i might have gotten an odd look or two but honestly i don't care, neither did 99% of the people at those gigs.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    @OT, i've used controllers over pio and allen mixers, i might have gotten an odd look or two but honestly i don't care, neither did 99% of the people at those gigs.
    Thats good dude. Im really thinking about bringing mine too these clubs. I'll probably have to wait a couple gigs and see whose bringing what and what the crowd is looking like n stuff, but im glad that you guys have had positive experience with bringing controllers to clubs. Maybe it will be the same for me

These controllers are quite different, you should ask yourself which one of them fits what you want to do better.

The F1 doesn't make the X1 obsolete at all.

Yeah I took that into consideration when looking at both. I honestly think I would prefer too have the soft pads on the F1 for clip, sample, and cue launching above anything else. Not as many knobs as I would like, but I want too try out both before dropping some $ and making a hasty decision ya know? The faders on the F1 I could probably do without, but it still looks like a really cool ass toy.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

So long as it has enough buttons to confuse the "Real" Dj's you should be fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast