MIDI for both DJ-ing and Producing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MIDI for both DJ-ing and Producing

Hey guys,

after using keyboard and mouse only for quite some years, I was looking out for a controller to aid me with my production and DJ endavours within Ableton Live.

I started of by looking into options like the M-Audio X Session Pro and through some other controllers I will not mention here, I ended up looking at the Behringer BCR-2000 as a start up controller.

It has knobs, rotaries lots of 'em, and also some buttons.

Might look like a sound case, or maybe even an insane one, but I still want to see if some other options are still feasible.
    I chose this one, being that it is not the most expensive controller to start with.
    Who knows, if I might like the feel of MIDI controllers I might go check out more expensive controllers.

Concluding, is this a nice controller to start out with, or can you recommend me something else?

Cheers,

tekki.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It really comes down to what you are looking for. I can't do much of anything with any passion on a computer without a MIDI controller. I just need the tactile feeling, which is why I own a PadKontrol and a Radium 49 (though that might get upgraded soon). It comes down to what you are looking for your controller to do and your budget.

If all you want is a controller for knobs, rotaries and basic functions then what you are looking at is perfect.

If you want keys or triggers then it's not as good. The Trigger Finger has 8 pots and four faders on top of 16 pads, whereas the PadKontrol only has 2 knobs and 16 pads, but has an X/Y touch pad and can have 16 scenes per channel (equalling 256 individual control scenarios). I don't know if the Trigger Finger does that.

But that doesn't help if you want a keyboard. And that list is almost endless.

If you want recommendations start with your budget and what you are looking to do with it. There are hundreds of MIDI controllers on the market, so give us a place to start :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Well don't know how much this costs abroad, but here in Holland it rates around de 140 euros.
    I was kinda thinking between 150 and 200 euros.
    (And ofcourse I hope to get a Maven Control LOLz )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Okay, so do you need more than just pots and buttons? It's a good MIDI controller for what it is, but if you want recommendations we need to know what you want to use it for.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Hey guys,

after using keyboard and mouse only for quite some years, I was looking out for a controller to aid me with my production and DJ endavours within Ableton Live.
    [..]
    Here ya go.

Well, are you writing music? Are you just doing mashups? Are you doing live remixes? Are you recording your own tracks? If you are going to be writing chords I'd recommend a keyboard, but if you're going to just be triggering loops I'd recommend a different interface. If you're doing both then there are some to work with there too :-)

I wouldn't find much use for the Behringer piece you're looking at for DJing. I'd get more use out of my Vestax VCI-100 and a TriggerFinger or PadKontrol. Or the Korg Kontrol49, although I think that's slightly out of your price range.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Well, are you writing music? Are you just doing mashups? Are you doing live remixes? Are you recording your own tracks? If you are going to be writing chords I'd recommend a keyboard, but if you're going to just be triggering loops I'd recommend a different interface. If you're doing both then there are some to work with there too :-)

I wouldn't find much use for the Behringer piece you're looking at for DJing. I'd get more use out of my Vestax VCI-100 and a TriggerFinger or PadKontrol. Or the Korg Kontrol49, although I think that's slightly out of your price range.
    Currently I am writing, mashing/remixing, recording and making dj sets in Ableton.

When I wish to 'key' in the chords, I still make use of the Ableton keyboard mapping. For me this is suitable enough.
    However, for selecting scenes, tracks, editing VST settings/track settings, sample settings, I am looking for an allround solution.

Thing is, I have found my controller, but that controller is not for sale.
    (Sasha's Maven Control)
    I know this currently is an impossibility, as that I do not have the pretentions to build my own from scratch, by making use of MIDIbox.

So I am looking for a start off MIDI controller, not blasting my pocket on the budget department.
    That's when I started looking for solutions like X session Pro, Behringer's BCF-2000 and now BCR-2000.

So basically, I thought this forum would be the ultimate place to have a final inquiry.

Oh okay, now that makes sense.

This I found, just outside your budget, but seems to be really close to that Maven Controller
    JL Cooper Minidesk Controller

I would also try combining the BCF-2000 with the BCR and see what you can come up with. There aren't many options for what you're looking for. I'd also recommend looking at something to trigger cues/samples away from your mouse (PadKontrol, Trigger Finger or a simple MPD16) just cause it makes life SO much simpler to have a rhythmic beat down for a song. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Hey Thanks for that Minidesk thingy, will be checking that one out tomorrow!

I was idd thinking about combining the BCF & BCR-2000, maybe even DIY it into a single casing. You refering to hooking up these two makes it even less insane than I thought it would be.

And I agree with the triggering/queing. But looking at this youtube movie, this is also covered with the BCR.

Once again thanks for pointing me to the JL Cooper Minidesk Controller !

Default Novation Remote SL

I Really Like The Novation Remote SL.
    (It Is Available With/Without Keys.)

'SL' Stands For 'Soft Label', Which Means You Can Name ALL Of Your Controls.
    The AutoMap Functions Are Great With Ableton & Pluggins, (Or Any Of The Major DAW)
    Plus It's MIDI Is Fully Programmable.

For Me, The Only Thing It Is Missing Is A Crossfader.

Hope This Helps
    The Duelist
    Last edited by The Duelist; 04-01-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast