Why, in your opinion, don't people wear ear plugs?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Why, in your opinion, don't people wear ear plugs?

Everybody (not just DJs) must have heard that loud music is going to damage their hearing... so why in your opinion people don't wear earplugs?

My thinking is that its not because they're uncomfortable, or they muffle the music. Because really once they're in there its barely noticeable and to the casual club goer the sound really isn't much worse. You can still feel the bass pumping physically.

I think its because they're perceived as "uncool", or their bright orange and yellow colors can make them stand out too much and look ridiculous, or people might not even know where to buy them, or people forget to bring them, or maybe people DON'T know that they're destroying their hearing.

What do you guys think?

I'm actually thinking of investigating this problem as a design project for myself. So your opinions will be helpful, interesting, and valuable.

What?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I'm gonna say that for the most part people just don't care. The large majority of the club scene is 18-30 (for the most part) and typically speaking most teenagers and 20-somethings don't care about hearing damage.

Being someone who is partially deaf in one ear, I always worry about more hearing loss. Given my obsession with producing music (and just listening to music in general), I can't afford any more of it.

If you want to invest in some ear plugs that are fitted and don't muffle the sound too much, I suggest you go to the doctor, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. They also are not obnoxious colors, making them harder to see, especially in a dark setting like a night club.

(It's also worth noting that half the people at clubs and/or concerts are drunk or on drugs, which is going to make you care less about ear plugs and such).

I just realized this post may have made me sound like an old man. Oops.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by faeruithir View Post
    why in your opinion people don't wear earplugs?
    because most people are ignorant and/or stupid - plus, when they're drunk, they don't care anymore.

sorry to disappoint you, but no design can change the inherent flaws of humans.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    What?
    Why don't people wear ear plugs (in your opinion)?

Sorry if the question was unclear..

Anyway I agree most people don't care, but then again most people don't care about smoking. There must be a way to make people want to wear ear plugs.

I already have a nice set of ET 20s to hold me over until I can afford custom ones, so I'm not asking advice on what ear plugs to get. But for most people, even just a bunch of cheap ones from the pharmacy will do if they plan to go clubbing. But they are obnoxiously colored and people seem to see it as a dorky thing to wear ear plugs to a club.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    because most people are ignorant and/or stupid - plus, when they're drunk, they don't care anymore.

sorry to disappoint you, but no design can change the inherent flaws of humans.
    And yet people still try to stop others from smoking through all sorts of methods. You can say its impossible but I'm still gonna try :P can't give up too easily!

Pardon?
    ---
    Sorry, just my attempt at being funny wasn't... funny.
    ---
    Kids think they are going to live forever. That is why they drink, smoke, take drugs and eat crap. They don't wear earplugs because they associate this with being old, with being square. It taps in an indirect subconcious way into mortality fear. Kids don't think they are old enough to have to worry about their bodies falling apart.
    ---
    Doesn't stop you making them look cool though. How about earplugs with integrated LEDs that flash in time to the music?

(c) lethal_pizzle 2010. If that hasn't been invented already.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 07-07-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Pardon?
    Haha I get it now

Yeah, there's always one tw@t isn't there? And that is me!
    I've updated that post with some real actual opinion.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I've worn earplugs the last couple of times going out, and it feels great. No more peep in your ear! Plus you can just talk at normal volume to anyone wearing plugs, because they'll actually HEAR you! no more screaming from 10 cm's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast