Sky Drive - You need this! (Free online file storage!!!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sky Drive - You need this! (Free online file storage!!!)

Go and set up a FREE Windows Live/Hotmail Account:

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?lic=1

Within Windows Live, you'll get a package called Sky Drive. This is 25GB of online storage.

Download and install Gladinet Starter Edition:

http://www.gladinet.com/p/download_starter_direct.htm

What you've got now is a local network drive (Gladinet) that is linked to your FREE Sky Drive 25GB (that's 25GB!) online storage.

I've just set up 3 Windows Live accounts - giving me 3x25GB back up folders in my Gladinet drive. Set up multiple accounts, assign each account to a different folder in your Gladinet Drive, and have 25GB of online storage for each account (I've got a Hip-Hop, a Breakbeat and a Jungle account).

This seriously couldn't be easier - I did it all in less that 20mins.

You can also download Silverlight to try try speed up your uploads:

http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/

Now - you CAN stream from your Gladinet drive, but I wouldn't like to try DJ'ing because of the transfer rates. I'll definitely be using it for back up storage, though.

Thanks to b3nz0n8 for bringing Sky Drive to my attention!
    Last edited by Patch; 11-18-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Default SkyDrive is WICKED!!

Absolutely! Nice work and great info, thank you.

Here is some feedback on where things are headed on the web interface front.
    Microsoft is in a transitional period from Silverlight to HTML5 (web standard).

When we are talking 'libraries' of content, SkyDrive is hands down the greatest free hosted storage platform available today.

Microsoft will also lead the advance on cloud computing and revolutionize the way we interface and mobilize. Google and Apple are too busy pissing in the wind to even comprehend the necessary planning and infrastructure needed to realize the potential of cloud computing. Just my opinion, deeply based in research and market trends. Nerd Alert.

Also, Microsoft is letting Google and Apple duke it out over Flash support/non-support and variations within the conflict of platform support and the walled garden. Eventually they will all settle on HTML5 and web-workers built into the browser to handle instances, thus creating a more dynamic web interface (and a very bright future). Microsoft is already in the lead.

What this means, Web Standardization.

HTML5 will become part of the web standardization protocols initiated by W3C at http://www.w3.org/.

What this also means to us? Drag and Drop your 'library' from your Desktop into your browser online storage drive, absolutely! Web Apps and lots of them, fully integrated as 'modules' within a single window.

Think of all those flash ads as Web Apps that are 'Mapped' to various locations feeding you the content you desire. Wicked!! Now think of feeding that content out through a projector, or having a DJ/VDJ collaborating from the other side of the globe, feeding content to your crowd and syncronized with your set! Awesome! It's on the way. Collaboration from around the Globe, DJ Social!

Warp speed in our browser and an organized, powerful, robust and dynamic interface across platforms. Google, just recently, initiated their HTML5 ebook introduction (but this HTML5 push has been in the works for some time).

Here is more great info on HTML5 and it's capabilities. The way we interface, in the DJ Digital realm and others will be changing. www.HTML5rocks.com

Just a bit to stir the pot.
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 11-21-2010 at 12:45 AM.

When are robots gonna to on us though?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

@MaxOne: Pretty soon they'll come after us. Look at this video of Obama not realizing he's talking to a fashin-robot:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/p...ure-robot-ove/

Nice find indeed.
    Didn't SkyDrive become LiveMesh recently?

There are also ways to increase your free Dropbox' size to like 18 GB.
    I've blogged about it here http://en.www.ali.dj/how-to-increase...opbox-to-10gb/
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Default Giant Robot Karlos Santos

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    When are robots gonna to on us though?

....DARPA - Replicants, Pleasurebots....and then....wait for it, wait for it....Giant Robot Karlos Santos.

"News 9: This just in...There seems to be a Giant Robot Karlos Santos running around the streets of New York City.

..wait,wait...yes, yes that's right.....Giant Robot Karlos has something to say.....can we patch that audio feed through, yes yes we have him....go ahead G.R.K.S......."
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 11-21-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Default Mobilize, ya heard!

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    Nice find indeed.
    Sure did, they just started the server consolidation Worldwide. They are also consolidating services into the Azure platform and preparing to create a very large footprint in cloud computing. Wait for Window 8. Mobilize, ya heard!

Default www.gbridge.com

Oh yes, try this too: http://www.gbridge.com/

Remote, store, share, control, etc. Bandwidth neeeded to manage, but very nice!
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 11-21-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Default Nice Blog Hedge...Adding this to my feed now. thx

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post

There are also ways to increase your free Dropbox' size to like 18 GB.
    I've blogged about it here http://en.www.ali.dj/how-to-increase...opbox-to-10gb/
    Good info on increasing your Dropbox size.

Thank you Hedge

Default Cloud Storage Faceoff: Windows Live SkyDrive vs. Dropbox vs. Amazon Cloud Drive

LINK: LIFEHACKER FACEOFF

Cloud Storage Faceoff: Windows Live SkyDrive vs. Dropbox vs. Amazon Cloud Drive

Credit: Adam Dachis —

With Amazon's recent entry into consumer cloud storage, we've got quite a few competitors offering great and varying options—but which one is the best? Here's a look at Windows Live SkyDrive, Dropbox, and Amazon Cloud Drive, and our top pick for storing you files in the cloud.

All these services are a little bit different, so they're hard to compare one-for-one. We have our preference, but make sure to check out each service individually as one may suit you better than another. If you want to see the verdict on all the services at a glance, scroll down to the bottom of the page for a quick look. For a more in-depth look at every service, just keep reading.

Windows Live SkyDrive

The Good

The feature set is simple and concise. Windows Live SkyDrive gives you 25GB for free. It integrates with Windows Live Mail (a.k.a. Hotmail) and other Windows Live services, like the online version of Microsoft Office. It comes with nice viewing options for photos and videos, and makes it easy to view and share your files across platforms.

The Bad

The feature set is simple and concise. Aside from a massive amount of free space, you don't get much with SkyDrive. It's pretty much just storage. If you need more than 25GB, you'll need to look elsewhere because what you get for free is all you get in general. Additionally, while you do have 25GB of space, you only have 50MB per file. If you want to upload a file larger than 50MB you're out of luck, which is a big disadvantage for the service.

The Verdict

SkyDrive is essentially 25GB of storage—for free. While it doesn't have the most compelling feature set if you're not using it with Windows Live Mail and the online version of Microsoft Office, it is a whole lot of space for a whole lot of nothing. Value-wise, you can't really beat it...unless you have files greater than 50MB.

Dropbox

The Good

Dropbox only gives you 2GB for free, but you can bring that up to 16GB by referring your friends, family, and complete strangers you can coerce into signing up using your referral URL. For $100 or $200 per year, Dropbox will up your storage to 50GB or 100GB, respectively, and that's not including your referrals (which are doubled when you're a paid customer). Dropbox storage not only includes your stored files, but also keeps copies of deleted files in case you want to get them back. For an extra fee you can keep an unlimited number of copies for easy recovery.

The best part of Dropbox, however, is that it syncs to all your computers. If you keep everything important in your Dropbox, that means you've got a backup of all your important files automatically by virtue of them being on multiple machines as well as up in the cloud. If you are syncing between machines, Dropbox will first sync files over your local connection first, making sync a lot faster when all your computers are on the same network. Dropbox has apps for pretty much every mobile device, so you can easily access your files from virtually anywhere. Dropbox also makes file sharing easy as you can simply right click to share virtually anything in your Dropbox or share it from the mobile app.

The Bad

If you need more than 100GB of storage (or, really, 132GB with referrals), you're sort of out of luck. Unless you want to sign up for a team plan (which starts at $796/year for 350GB), you're stuck with a 100GB cap and that may be too low for people who have a lot of stuff they want to store. Dropbox also does not let you store files outside of your Dropbox

**(although you can work around that limitation).

You also won't want to use Dropbox for backing up or syncing any complex files or system files to avoid conflicts that could cause serious problems.

**For example, syncing iTunes with Dropbox across multiple machines can cause problems with your library since iTunes saves your library in a single file.

**(We have a workaround for this, too.)

The Verdict

Dropbox is really great if your needs include syncing and you can limit your storage to 100GB, but if you need more space or just don't want to pay for it, you may want to look into another option.

Amazon Cloud Drive

The Good

Amazon's offered storage for awhile now, with their Simple Storage Service (S3), but that was geared towards developers. This is relevant because developers have not only been using S3 to store tons of big files you upload to their webapps regularly, but some have even created cloud storage services built on top of Amazon S3. Amazon's launch of Cloud Drive is really an extension of their long-implemented storage service and that should give you a good idea of its reliability.

Feature-wise, Amazon Cloud Drive wins for music lovers because of its companion app, Amazon Cloud Player. Cloud Player is available as a native Android app and also as a webapp. This is great if you want constant access to your music and have an always-connected device like a 3G smartphone. Cloud Drive offers 5GB of free storage, which is a little on the slim side.

**Fortunately, Amazon is offering [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000667531&tag=gmgamzn-20"]20GB of storage for a year if you buy an MP3 album[/ame], which means you should save at least $10 off the cost of a 20GB account. Amazon has plenty of storage tiers, offering anywhere from the free 5GB to an entire terabyte of cloud storage. As a comparison, you'll get twice the space on Cloud Drive as you would on Dropbox for the same money.

The Bad

While there's a native app available for Android, there's nothing for iOS. You can't even use the webapp in Safari without forcing Cloud Player to load the desktop version of the webapp. This is disappointing for iOS users, but it's worth noting that Apple's held up app approval for competition before and it wouldn't be a surprise if they were holding back Amazon here.

While Amazon has the ability to scale, offers a music player, and does all of this for half the cost of Dropbox, it still can't do much of what Dropbox can do all by itself. If you're looking for a bunch of features beyond a music player, they're not quite here yet.

The Verdict

If music is your thing, Amazon's got a well-priced service that's still a little rough around the edges. You might want to hold off if your priorities don't include a cloud-based music player and massive amounts of cheap online storage.

What's the Best Cloud Storage Option?

Good question.

What's really great about all these products is that they're not identical and offer varying sets of features. What we've realized is that it's not so much about which one's the best, but rather which one's the best for you.

*If you need to sync, go with Dropbox. If you want to pay absolutely nothing and get a ton of storage (25GB), go with Windows SkyDrive.

*If you want reasonably-priced, tiered storage that's geared towards playing your music from anywhere, Amazon Cloud Drive is for you.

While you could probably rig any one of these services to basically act like the others, they each have their strengths and weaknesses and you'll have to decide which strengths are more important to you.

Personally—and I think this goes for everyone at Lifehacker—I love Dropbox.

If you have more than one computer (as it seems the very large majority of you do), it's almost a necessity.

If there's a winner in my book, it's definitely Dropbox. That said, these are all great cloud storage services that aim to meet varying needs. If you choose based on what matters most to you, chances are you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 03-31-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    ------=== ===------

Default Comments on the article above....Cloudshare....It's coming

Comments:

Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:15 PM

No mention of Windows Live Mesh?

ChickenStickyRice @Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ promoted by Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:25 PM

Correct me if i were wrong but isn't Live Mesh sync to Windows Sky Drive?

Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ @ChickenStickyRice Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:28 PM

It'd make sense if it did, but rather, Mesh has a separate 5 GBs that are not a part of SkyDrive. The reason I ask for a mention is that it doesn't have the 50MB limit, and it also has many of the advantages Dropbox has.

lycosman @Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ promoted by Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:35 PM

I think that Live Mesh is more oriented to syncing and sharing than to raw cloud storage. I don't even think is has any space for files. Also, why would MS have two services with the same purpose?

Mesh is on the MobileMe Sync section, I guess.

ChickenStickyRice @Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ promoted by Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:40 PM

Searched around the web i found out that when it's on Beta, Live Mesh has 2GB limit size for a single file. Look like they lifted the size limit for Live Mesh 2011 and it could be synced to Skydrive,too.

Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ @lycosman Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:43 PM

"Why would MS have two services with the same purpose?"

Hahahaha. I'm a Microsoft fan, and I gotta say, this made me lol. Microsoft is notorious for having conflicting products.

Also, Mesh has 5 GB of storage.

Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ @ChickenStickyRice Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:44 PM

Live Mesh Beta is the very old, discontinued version. Live Mesh 2011 is the current one, and it doesn't sync to Skydrive.

ChickenStickyRice @Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ promoted by Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:46 PM

On Live mesh site : "By syncing folders on the 5 GB of free synced storage space you get with SkyDrive, you can work with up-to-date copies of files on the web from any computer." The 5GB seems to be separated but it could be synced to the Skydrive for working online as well.

Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ @ChickenStickyRice Tue 29 Mar 2011 5:52 PM

They call it Skydrive, but it's separate from the 25 GB that Skydrive itself provides. As far as I know, there's no way to force it to use the 25 GBs--only the 5GB.

m1ndtr1p @Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ promoted by Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ Tue 29 Mar 2011 6:23 PM

Taken directly from the website:

"Important

On March 31, 2011, the Live Mesh beta software will stop working, and www.mesh.com will be shut down. After March 31, you won't be able to access any files stored online in your Live Desktop or connect to your PCs remotely using the Live Mesh software. Microsoft will not be able to help you retrieve any files you have stored online after this date. Your files will also stop syncing between your computers and your Live Mesh online storage."

So after March 31st, Live Mesh stops working, so get your files off of there before its shut down.

Another one bites the dust.

Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ ☼ N $ @m1ndtr1p Tue 29 Mar 2011 6:30 PM

That's the beta; the current one is Live Mesh 2011.
    ------=== ===------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast