Windows Mobile PDA as midi controller

Default Windows Mobile PDA as midi controller

hi all

I was wondering if it is possible to use my PDA (HP RX5900 - windows mobile 5 i think) as a touch screen midi controller (for effects and maybe even cue points) i have seen similar things for the iPhone.

another thins to consider is i have a MBP so connecting to that may cause an issue

Any advice or solutions would be much appreciated

Yes it is possible.

(there's a MIDI controller in my pocket)

(but I'm happy to see you anyway)

I have been testing it for a little more than 2 months and it seems nice.

It has No multitouch like on the iPhone though, but it has got buttons,faders and an X/Y pad.

It only has no flashy graphics.

The app is called There'sa, and you have to make use of your ActiveSync USB cable in order to connect it to your laptop/PC.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

thanks tekki
    that sounds like what i need

Can you customize the look to get the buttons/faders how i want them?

and also i am using a MacBook Pro will that cause any drama's with the ActiveSync connection?

1.) Yes, unfortunately it still does no wonders with transparency, basically that's a no go.
    2.) I don't think that is going to work, sorry. Unless you have a windows emulation thingy. (Not yet experienced with mac. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    and also i am using a MacBook Pro will that cause any drama's with the ActiveSync connection?
    ooooh yes, it will cause drama

there's no way to use active sync on os x, only on windows... so if you want to take the risk and run windows in a vmware (or similar) during your live set then you could use this nifty little pda app - personally i wouldn't

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

dang nammit!

i thought that might have been the case

i wouldnt trust windows to run on my computer at any time.... yet alone during a set :P

looks like ill just have to get a nanopad or something and run traktor through ableton for fx

Hello every one!

It's nice to see that other people think like me about using our pda to control midi software

Tekki, I know it's been a while since the last comment on this post, but I would like to ask a few questions from you as you have set up Theresa already.
    What software do you use it with? I want to use it with Ableton Live, but live doesn't seem to recognise the output of the Theresa software. Could you give me some advice abot how you did it, like what other software u used with it, if u needed to have any specific drivers for it.
    Any help would do.
    Thanks for your time in advance

Dude, it works like a charm in Ableton, the only downer is, that you are not able to use the X/Y pad for X/Y controls of let's say an autofilter, or such VSTs.

To prepare for Live:
    - first connect the PDA/phone to your pc/laptop
    - have activesync working
    - turn on There's'a client on your phone
    - make sure There's'a server has started up on your pc/laptop
    - open/start Ableton Live
    - go into preferences
    - make sure you're selecting the proper input/output/sync/takeover on both Ableton and There's'a client
    - select a suitable MIDI layout on your There's'a client
    - select proper setup in Ableton (Tracks/VSTs in Ableton)
    - make mappings in Ableton
    - save as template, or project
    - go mad in Ableton!

I used to have this setup on my laptop, will make a new one shortly. (As I promised Bento I would make a tutorial on this. )