Gear Advice Required

Default Gear Advice Required

Hi All,

I have been DJ'ing since 2002 but have been out of the mixing game since 2008. Due to some unexpected generosity from an old DJ friend I am back in the market for some new gear. There is so much gear to choose from I don't know where to start.

Back in the day I had 2 x CDJ800 mkII's and a simple 2 channel mixer. Now I want to go digital. I have spent about 4 hours online doing some research and have come up with some front runners.

However, here's the catch! Due to a mysterious health problem developed from working for years in IT I can no longer use computers. In fact I'm allergic to TV's and computers. Something about electromagnetic field sensitivity etc. Now if your still listening and haven't switched the channel I have some options.

I have seen equipment utilizing USB and SD cards. This would work just fine as normal electronic gear doesn't bother me. Just stuff in the Ghz range. Numark (Mixdeck Quad) and Gemini (CDMP-7000) have a couple of interesting options in this area. I have a budget of $700 US for my total set up. Would prefer 4 channels in the mixer. Please feel free to offer additional options, recommendations and feedback.

Thank you in advance!

Nathan Mashman

MY DNB BLOG: https://soundcloud.com/sound-cloud-selections/likes

Hey Man

I have one question, just by reading your question when you say you want to go digital but you cannot be around TVs or Computers, how do you think that's possible? Cause you will have to use a computer for your track selection. There's no way around that (as far as I know).

Maybe just pick up CDJ's again?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Hey Man

.... you say you want to go digital but you cannot be around TVs or Computers, how do you think that's possible? Cause you will have to use a computer for your track selection. There's no way around that (as far as I know).
    ^^ this ^^
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

How are you posting this if you can't use a computer?

Tech Mentor

Digital doesn't mean computers per sé, any CDJ setup is in fact just as digital (meaning: the audio source consists of 1's and 0's, instead of analog waveforms).

I don't know about the CDMP-7000, but the Gemini CDJ-700's (that seem to be the same as the ones in the CDMP-7000) were actually a pretty good deal from what I've read!

But since you mentioned a budget of $700, I don't really see how the CDMP or the Mixdeck Quad are going to fit in? You might also look at the Numark Mixdeck Express, which has just 3 channels (still enough imo), but at a considerably lower price. Then there's also the Stanton SCS4DJ, which got solid reviews and an even lower price, but with just 2 channels.

You might also consider using a remote MIDI setup? Put the computer a couple of meters away from your booth, and use a USB extension cable to plug in all your peripherals. This could provide you with a way more powerful setup than going the standalone route. If you can't have a screen near you either, navigating the software and your track collection might be a little difficult, but it's surely doable. VirtualDJ, for one, has a powerful built-in scripting module which might prove very useful in this case.
    This is definitely a more complex approach to get into with your healt condition, but it is also a lot more powerful, flexible, futureproof, and will provide more bang for buck (provided you've still gt a computer at hand).

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Mind = blown
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Cellphone.

Tech Mentor

Cellphones have a lot of em waves in the ghz range too. But anyway, not really on topic.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds