smart mixing with Abelton/cubase/ torq

Default smart mixing with Abelton/cubase/ torq

just curious..been reading and this smart mixing idea looks pretty cool.....first question....what is the difference using smart mixing as opposed to eq cuts in mixing? is there really a big difference? what are the advantages?

Second question...can I do smart mixing with a torq set up with ableton? alos can I do it in cubase also?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ006 View Post
    just curious..been reading and this smart mixing idea looks pretty cool.....first question....what is the difference using smart mixing as opposed to eq cuts in mixing? is there really a big difference? what are the advantages?

Second question...can I do smart mixing with a torq set up with ableton? alos can I do it in cubase also?
    By adjusting the gains on the multi-band compressors they still actually work as EQ's - basicly because you are adjusting the volume level of a frequency given range which is exactly what a EQ does.

Crossband compression works really awesome for quick cuts and it enables you to do alot of stuff where you would usually have or two hands on the eqs.

Mainly the advantages come from not having to have your hands on the EQ as much as you normally would - it can also do EQ cuts faster than a human could.

By simply turning up the send of the channel that you are mixing into then moving the crossfader over will automaticly start cutting the bass on the track you are mixing out of as you start mixing in the other track. This gives you an extra hand free to play with some FX, cue juggles or whatever.

I wouldnt recommend the Belvario Smart Mixer though, its not exactly an optimised setup in my eyes(i personally think when you turn up the send it shouldnt effect that channels audio like Belvario does). Moldovers Smart Mixer setup is better than the Belvario one in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I wouldn't recommend the Belvario Smart Mixer though, its not exactly an optimized setup in my eyes(i personally think when you turn up the send it shouldn't effect that channels audio like Belvario does). Moldovers Smart Mixer setup is better than the Belvario one in my opinion.
    I use Belvario Smart Mixer and have noticed the volume change when switching the send on the track. Something I as well have not been to keen on.

Although when trying to set up Moldover's Smart Mixer I have been unable to get the reactor end of it up and running.

When I load the *.ens it tells me that the files are not a valid file.
    this is the case with each channels ensemble and the effect.

I am using Ableton 6 with Reaktor 5

any suggestions would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonj View Post
    I use Belvario Smart Mixer and have noticed the volume change when switching the send on the track. Something I as well have not been to keen on.
    Its not just a volume change, there is some phasing problems and it generally just makes the audio sound crap. It however is a good start for someone who wants to learn the basics - hopefully we can create a better setup inside of live.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonj View Post
    Although when trying to set up Moldover's Smart Mixer I have been unable to get the reactor end of it up and running.

When I load the *.ens it tells me that the files are not a valid file.
    this is the case with each channels ensemble and the effect.

I am using Ableton 6 with Reaktor 5

any suggestions would be great.
    Have you been able to load any ensemble in Reaktor ? how about the demo ensembles that come with Reaktor ?

yes I am able to open upthe tutorial ensambles