Effect "Slams"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect "Slams"

Tech Mentor

Default Effect "Slams"

One thing I find effects extremely useful for is using them to sort of "slam" - making your own mix out point/break or something if you will - which often sounds much better than an emergency cut where an element of the mix drops out and it just feels like it is missing something.

For instance - Taking the reverse grain in advanced mode with all the parameters at 100% then turning it on and winding down the speed parameter really destroys the track and gives it an air-raid like whining tone. I then often wind down the grain/pitch to smoothly take away this tone by really destroying it in turn.

Another good one is using ramp delay and freezing, but winding up or down the time knob to pitch the frozen bit up or down and have it fade out

Classic slow turntable stop always seems to be effective, but a bit cheesy.

I guess any sort of effect Idea that kills the track quickly, but does it in a musical way that sounds like something in production would be welcome! These are what effects should be all about - not just knob twisting wank that makes you look busy.

Tech Wizard

I don't have too much experience with effects, but the ones I concurrently use the most are delay, beatmasher and filter. Obviously the most basic ones out there, but I enjoy them for what they are. They prove to be useful. A couple other ones I play around with are flanger and gater.

Don't have too much experience with the other effects only because I'm not not sure how to use them best, i.e. freezing, reverse grain, tranpose stretch, reverb, bass-o-matic. Advice on how to best applies these?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

There is one combination I like the most when it comes to brake effect mapped to one button. It's Masher at value 1.000 with Transpose, Filter, TTFX, etc as 1.000 to 0.000 sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabullis View Post
    freezing. Advice on how to best applies these?
    Add in > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Delay
    Add in > FX Unit > Unit On / type-button / mode-toggle
    Add in > FX Unit > Button 2 / type-button / mode-toggle
    Add in > FX Unit > Button 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0
    Add in > FX Unit > DryWet / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 1 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.600
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 2 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.400
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
    Add in > FX Unit > FX Unit Mode Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Single
    Add in > FX Unit > FX Store preset / type-button / mode-trigger

Make same FX unit assignment for all commands.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Add in > FX Unit > Effect Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Delay
    Add in > FX Unit > Unit On / type-button / mode-toggle
    Add in > FX Unit > Button 2 / type-button / mode-toggle
    Add in > FX Unit > Button 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0
    Add in > FX Unit > DryWet / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 1 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.600
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 2 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.400
    Add in > FX Unit > Knob 3 / type-button / mode-direct / value-0.300
    Add in > FX Unit > FX Unit Mode Selector / type-button / mode-direct / value-Single
    Add in > FX Unit > FX Store preset / type-button / mode-trigger

Make same FX unit assignment for all commands.
    To be honest, I'm too new at this topic to really know what any of that means. Perhaps you'd be willing to elaborate a little bit more? I'm still in the middle of the learning curve.

To be honest, I'm too new at this topic to really know what any of that means. Perhaps you'd be willing to elaborate a little bit more? I'm still in the middle of the learning curve.
    This is the simplest form of mappin in traktor. Go youtube how to map to traktor and you will understand the above!

Tech Mentor

It is a way to map the effects to a button/knob.
    For all my VCI-100 lovers view my step by step guide to moding your very own VCI-100 Arcade edition
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56270

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    This is the simplest form of mappin in traktor. Go youtube how to map to traktor and you will understand the above!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    It is a way to map the effects to a button/knob.
    Note taken. I'll look into it. Thanks for the pointers.

Those are Echo freeze mapping parameters. All you have to do is to enable 'Learn' button in controller manager and start adding those commands and map it to same button.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Those are Echo freeze mapping parameters. All you have to do is to enable 'Learn' button in controller manager and start adding those commands and map it to same button.
    Dang, map all of that to the same button? That is intense for just one effect. But well worth it I presume. I was testing it out a bit and found that it didn't allow me to select "toggle" for the mode. Am I doing something wrong? Doesn't it matter which button on the laptop it gets mapped to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast