13" Macbook pro on my mind.....??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

13 inch works fine, i just bought a second hand macbook (pro) 2008 model put a 500 gb hybrid in and 5 gb memory. no problems here.

If you just gonna use it with traktor, maybe a second hand is worth thinking about. Got mine for 350 dollars. just needed to put some extra money in for some upgrades.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

amidoinitrite

not to sure the next release is going to be as big of an upgrade as the previous upgrade.

the biggest thing is going to a new body design.. if you feel like waiting for a new body design then wait.

if they do anything significantly greater.. I would expect to see a raise in price as well.

I'd buy now

Although we had the 13 inch discussion a couple of times, I personally think it's a matter of personal preference. I like the 13'' for it's good compromise between screen real estate and portability. It's also more than enough for traktor, unless you desperately need room for four decks and a relatively big playlist. For two decks or 2 and mini sample decks, it's enough.

As far as the upcoming redesign is concerned, I've read a lot of rumors (to be taken with a grain of salt) that there is a redesign towards the Macbook Air slim form factor in the works, at least for the 15 inch model. IF that is true, and if that also concerns the 13'' pro, it's downside might also be that it's SSD based like the macbook air. I like SSDs in general, but if that's true, big hard drives that can be built in there might be hard to get hold of. And anyway, apple redesigns it's hardware every year, more or less, so if you count in a couple of weeks or months wait until the first production flaws have been fixed after initial release, you'll always end up with a macbook that is close to becoming an older model.
    If there's a redesign coming. I can't imagine that it's gonna change CPU architecture or the chipset much. If anything, it's gonna ditch the optical drive and upgradability of the hard drive, anything else will probably be cosmetic. (Just my two cents).

Now i'm reading about the air's.....decisions, decisions!! LOL
    ::: mixing music that feeds the soul ::: iTunes | House-mixes.com | Mixcloud
    "If the music you're listening to doesn't give you goosebumps, you're listening to the wrong genre."

Quote Originally Posted by groovemixer View Post
    Now i'm reading about the air's.....decisions, decisions!! LOL
    The newest generation of airs are much better than the initial release. The only thing that put me into the MBP range over the MBA was the price and storage capacity.

$1600 for 13" MBA with 256 SSD vs $1200 for 13" MBP with 320 non-SSD.

For me, it was just a matter of saying $400 is not worth SSD with less space, as I've NEVER found myself needing SSD speeds. On top of that, I like the optical drive since I buy Computer Music Monthly and love the sample CDs, along with having the ability to pop a DVD in when I'm flying.

You seriously can't go wrong with either machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    now you got me thinking..i currently have a 13" MBP and was thinkin in getting a iMac for production but seems like my 13" is limited so i was just gunna but a bigger macbook like a 17" do you think they take up to much space?

sorry for thread jacking
    Why don't you just buy a big ass monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse and one of these:
    http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/

Instant iMac!

Honestly, any MacBook from the last couple of years should be able to take anything you can throw at it. If you're really worried, slap another 4Gb of RAM and a SSD in there.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

amidoinitrite

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Honestly, any MacBook from the last couple of years should be able to take anything you can throw at it. If you're really worried, slap another 4Gb of RAM and a SSD in there.
    My 08 MB could handle anything I'd throw at it.

Not much difference form my '08 MB to my '11 MBP.. cpu usage is lower on everything.. but that was never an issue on my 08.. so it's basically the same.

Part of me thinks I should've kept my '08 a little longer.. BUT my dad has it now and he loves it, so its all good!

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    13 inch works fine, i just bought a second hand macbook (pro) 2008 model put a 500 gb hybrid in and 5 gb memory. no problems here.

If you just gonna use it with traktor, maybe a second hand is worth thinking about. Got mine for 350 dollars. just needed to put some extra money in for some upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by amidoinitrite View Post
    My 08 MB could handle anything I'd throw at it.

Not much difference form my '08 MB to my '11 MBP.. cpu usage is lower on everything.. but that was never an issue on my 08.. so it's basically the same.

Part of me thinks I should've kept my '08 a little longer.. BUT my dad has it now and he loves it, so its all good!
    I agree with these guys. I have a second hand 13" 08 MB that I got for $500 and as a dedicated DJing laptop it works perfectly fine. I'm no where close to maxing the CPU load in traktor; and thats playing 2 deck w/ effects and cue mashing.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    @JesC, How's the 8GB better than the regular 4GB. Even under heavy usage I don't exceed the 4GB..
    Also got a 13" from early 2010 and loving it. It's got a 60GB SSD for OSX and apps, 500GB 5400rpm HDD.
    I need the extra ram cause I run Serato & Ableton Live with the bridge, I also need this when recording my sets. for alot of people its over kill but i never close my browser, always have bluetooth & wifi. The way is see it, ill rather how free ram then no ram at all.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12