BeatGrid Issues w Tracktor Pro - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I'm having a problem with 'fast' music that is being analysed as having low bpms in traktor for example various pendulum songs show as 70 and 87bpm. I'm also having trouble beatgridding some songs like this as they have irregular beats.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    I'm having a problem with 'fast' music that is being analysed as having low bpms in traktor for example various pendulum songs show as 70 and 87bpm. I'm also having trouble beatgridding some songs like this as they have irregular beats.

thanks
    This is an easy one, Traktor is analysing the bpm as half of what it is. Open the advanced panel under the deck, click on 'grid' on the left hand side and click on the little button that says 'X2'

The other option is to change the analysis parameters in the file management pane of the preferences window to a higher band, say 135-190bpm.

EDIT: I've found that when this happens the first beat is often out of place. Set a keyboard shortcut to delete the first cue (grid) point (I use shift+1) and another to drop a beat marker. You can do this with the mouse but it takes forever. You might want to put the grid/beat marker on the first beat of a drum heavy section, since pendulum songs don't necessarily have a defined beat in the intro. Once it's set you can always go back and put another one at the start if you want, since the grid will be accurate now.
    Last edited by fullenglishpint; 10-16-2010 at 06:15 AM.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    This is an easy one, Traktor is analysing the bpm as half of what it is. Open the advanced panel under the deck, click on 'grid' on the left hand side and click on the little button that says 'X2'

The other option is to change the analysis parameters in the file management pane of the preferences window to a higher band, say 135-190bpm.
    Ok. But I do have music that's lower than 135bpm right?!

Ok. But I do have music that's lower than 135bpm right?!
    Oh sure, you can put the parameters back afterwards but if I'm doing a big batch of D&B i set them to 160-190, if it's dubstep then maybe 130-150. It doesn't affect your whole library, just the songs you analyse from then on until you change it back.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Oh sure, you can put the parameters back afterwards but if I'm doing a big batch of D&B i set them to 160-190, if it's dubstep then maybe 130-150. It doesn't affect your whole library, just the songs you analyse from then on until you change it back.
    What happens if a song has a lower bpm than the lowest parameter?
    thanks

What happens if a song has a lower bpm than the lowest parameter?
    thanks
    well it will most likely fuck up the beatgrid and you'll have to do that one again so just do it with songs you know are in that range. I always do the stadard analysis on songs when i import them, but DnB often comes up at around 86-89bpm (half the true value) so I arrange the songs by bpm, select the ones in that range and reanalyse with updated bpm parameters.

Don't forget to reset them afterwards or you'll have a mess on your hands, and if all else fails as I mentioned before you can just go through each track clicking the double (X2) button. Make sure the beat marker is on a beat though.

Tech Mentor

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

Hmm, I still can't get my head around how to beatgrid songs with irregular beats...
    It seems impossible and is incredibly frustrating!

For example, I have a song Skindred - Babylon that comes up as 198bpm which it isn't, and the beatgrid is very wrong although I have no idea where to set my own?

Tech Guru

i never have this issue with traktor3.... why is the bpm analyze/ autogrid so bullshit in traktor pro.... you'd think it be better than traktor3 not worse.

Hmm, I still can't get my head around how to beatgrid songs with irregular beats...
    It seems impossible and is incredibly frustrating!

For example, I have a song Skindred - Babylon that comes up as 198bpm which it isn't, and the beatgrid is very wrong although I have no idea where to set my own?
    Ha, good luck getting a beat grid to fit a live drummer. Non-syncopated drums are not possible to fit to a regular grid and Traktor won't be able to set one, your best bet is to follow Ean's tutorial but it's not easy.

[youtube]AM5grEYiEcU[/youtube]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast