Pioneer xdj-r1?? - Page 27
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    You're declaring this an "inferior design" over to two things that are so literally insignificant they have virtually no practical impact on the deck. Meanwhile advocating a Chinese knockoff, renown as near-unusable due to core issues, as the superior alternative.... Uhh...
    With the previous 3 posters on this one sorry. Seems like a clear case of 'hatin' on' without even having seen the unit in the flesh and judging for ones self, genuinely no disrespect intended but that seems woefully short sighted and I would hazard a guess you 'have issues', with all of Pioneer's hardware to some degree or other.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Fair enough. Most of Pioneer's gear has been 10bit. Some of their newer gear that has 14bit faders has tended not to fully take advantage of it in transport mode even when they are long enough. A fader that is shorter than 100mm cannot resolve 14bit resolution effectively. To assume the R1 is either a 10bit undersized fader or WAY undersized 14bit one is a very educated guess.

If it only has one USB memory port and cannot preload an entire track, then all this is moot and it’s a bum integrated unit, period... an overpriced controller. But suit yourself. I personally would also take the opinion of someone who actually bought one with a grain of salt, considering the issues.
    It's $100 more than the S4 was at release but is also an actual DJ mixer and does NOT require a computer and plays CDs. Hardly overpriced. I was actually amazed at the price when they announced it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    It's $100 more than the S4 was at release but is also an actual DJ mixer and does NOT require a computer and plays CDs. Hardly overpriced. I was actually amazed at the price when they announced it.
    +1. I think poster either has an axe to grind with Pio in general, or has painted himself into a corner and won't back down. For the price its a fantastic bit of kit. Saying that longer faders would have been nice, and there seems to be enough real estate to have done it. CDJ-350 size faders would have been nice.

Any reviews or hands-on with this yet?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    Also surprised there aren't yet! Maybe it IS shit, or alternatively so much fun, users cannot drag themselves off them to write a review.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    not much of a review from me but some points I picked up on while I had a loner

For the amount of work I do, the caliber of jobs and the different types of jobs, This thing is not good enough for guys like me in the companies we work in. For 1 there is a limit on the amount of files you can export from RB, can I break my library down to under this limit for each gig? Yes, but I don't have time when I do 5 different types of events a week to worry about which drive I take based on it so for me personally, These are my pro's and cons

cons
    1. cant use the memory points from RB, only the hot cues
    2. auto load of the hot cues are extremely slow and it can take up to 10 seconds before a track is ready to be played
    3. locked up once on me while loading cues, had to reboot deck which in the middle of a gig, means you're f'd, others complaiing about lock ups on Pioneer forum also
    4. i hate small platters in general, to toy'ish, even my wife laughed when i took it out of the box saying it looks like it was from toys r us compared the the gear I usually have at home
    5. would have to have 2 drives prepared, one for my 2000s and 1 for the R1, the R1 needs it's own library on export
    6. horrible for mic, only 1/4" in and no eq other then 1 knob for hi/low and only 1 mic, there are a lot of times we have 2 mics going so I would have to waste the aux in for a mic mixer which isn't a huge deal, but enough to suck, lol
    7. If I had to download a track I didn't have for some reason, I cant just throw it on a drive and play it, I'd have to burn cd's in the middle of a gig to play a song I may not have
    8. cannot link your laptop, iPad, iPhone to play tracks from that device, ONLY usb drive and cd's can be played

not all the cons are a big deal, MANY people would deal with this especially at a $900 price point but me personally, it doesn't compare to the flexibility and professional look of my current setup which is understandable when you compare a $900 controller to a $6000 setup

the pros
    1. awesome iPad integration and browsing
    2. small and light
    3. very well built
    4. cd drives

the controller is definitely cool and Pioneer is heading in the right direction with this RB and iPad integration into the units, but I personally feel it's just not there yet and so do others from what I am reading.

Tech Wizard

Looking on the pioneer forums there seems to be lots of people complaining about various bugs with the unit.
    Its amazing that they get released when there are clearly issues.
    It seems to happen on a lot of their gear.

It happens everywhere with anything that requires software/firmware to run. You try really hard in the stages of testing, but realistically it's very difficult to capture every real world scenario to make something break. Is it acceptable? No, but it's reality.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by brichi View Post
    not much of a review from me but some points I picked up on while I had a loner

For the amount of work I do, the caliber of jobs and the different types of jobs, This thing is not good enough for guys like me in the companies we work in. For 1 there is a limit on the amount of files you can export from RB, can I break my library down to under this limit for each gig? Yes, but I don't have time when I do 5 different types of events a week to worry about which drive I take based on it so for me personally, These are my pro's and cons

cons
    1. cant use the memory points from RB, only the hot cues
    2. auto load of the hot cues are extremely slow and it can take up to 10 seconds before a track is ready to be played
    3. locked up once on me while loading cues, had to reboot deck which in the middle of a gig, means you're f'd, others complaiing about lock ups on Pioneer forum also
    4. i hate small platters in general, to toy'ish, even my wife laughed when i took it out of the box saying it looks like it was from toys r us compared the the gear I usually have at home
    5. would have to have 2 drives prepared, one for my 2000s and 1 for the R1, the R1 needs it's own library on export
    6. horrible for mic, only 1/4" in and no eq other then 1 knob for hi/low and only 1 mic, there are a lot of times we have 2 mics going so I would have to waste the aux in for a mic mixer which isn't a huge deal, but enough to suck, lol
    7. If I had to download a track I didn't have for some reason, I cant just throw it on a drive and play it, I'd have to burn cd's in the middle of a gig to play a song I may not have
    8. cannot link your laptop, iPad, iPhone to play tracks from that device, ONLY usb drive and cd's can be played

not all the cons are a big deal, MANY people would deal with this especially at a $900 price point but me personally, it doesn't compare to the flexibility and professional look of my current setup which is understandable when you compare a $900 controller to a $6000 setup

the pros
    1. awesome iPad integration and browsing
    2. small and light
    3. very well built
    4. cd drives

the controller is definitely cool and Pioneer is heading in the right direction with this RB and iPad integration into the units, but I personally feel it's just not there yet and so do others from what I am reading.
    Thanks for input. How does beat matching feel with those faders? Do they do the job well enough?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

it felt ok, I did not enough time to test a lot and mix for hours but for the most part, it was exactly how I felt it would be and needed a little getting used to. the biggest issue they have right now is the deck keeps freezing, same issue we had with the CDJ2000Nexus for me, When the hot cues would load or we try and use them, the deck locks up sometimes and needs a reboot. Not too much testing when into these I have a feeling being I had it lock up with perfect mp3's within an hour of testing