Sample decks [Traktor,etc..]

Default Sample decks [Traktor,etc..]

Off topic : I don't know if serato has sample decks, but they might.
    On topic: First off do you guys use the sample deck a lot or occasionally , or never. I was wondering how to use them properly and i want to learn techniques on how to use them.
    I read somewhere that using famous movie quotes was a good way to sample so i sampled like 3-4 moves and i tried to use them in a set, and it sounded straight horrible.
    Like is there any good tips you guys can spare? like only use sound clips at the start of a song or something

Tech Mentor

For me, I only really use them for percussion loops during my house/tech sets as just another layer of beats. The main purpose for this for me is to keep a rhythm going during a possibly long breakdown so the dancers don't look at me like

On the VERY rare occasion when I spin hip-hop, I'll drop an 808 kick, snare, and clap in as one-shots, and then drum out an extra beat over the track with my LPD8.

If neither of those sound appealing enough, just put an airhorn in there and spam that sucker till closing!
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Thats a really nice way to using it, but I feel like you got to be a little more advance then me to do that. Excpet for the airhorn I can do that (;

Tech Mentor

Try throwing some loops in there, it's not very difficult really. There's some premade ones that come with Traktor and they sync to the master deck. At that point, all you have to do is start it on the first beat of a 16 bar phrase and you can pretty much fire and forget

Another thing I've found is that it's much easier to control the sample decks when there is some physical medium (button, fader, etc.) instead of using your trackpad/mouse to click em on and off. For example, I have em controlled on my LPD8, but I also have the output of Deck C and D going into a channel on my mixer, so I can instantly mute all the samples at once.

Honestly, the best way to figure it out is to just mess around with em until you go, "hey, that sounds kinda cool..."
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use them all the time. Mostly percussive stuff and elements of songs from early in a set to play throughout the set. That little bit of extra kind of glues the whole thing together.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Childrenatplay View Post
    Off topic :
    I read somewhere that using famous movie quotes was a good way to sample so i sampled like 3-4 moves and i tried to use them in a set, and it sounded straight horrible.
    got a good laugh out of that one

probably a good idea from now on to try new things out on your own first before diving head first at a live set

but im in the same boat as you and would love to learn proper technique for using samples

I'm with jojo. I've done it with 3rd decks (sampler, ableton, an extra CDJ, whatever) for a long time.

Find some basic loops of beats…normal house beats, hip hop boom bap beats, simple breakbeats……throw them in, and play with them until you figure it out.

Hip hop beats–if they're simple enough–go great over house breakdowns, for example.

Also, Traktor is limited in that "samples" can only be 32-beats long, but……if you can work around that, well-gridded acapellas can work very well…old house samples work well over a lot of housey or techy grooves.