6 analogues and 14 digital outputs - the £2 'midi brain'
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 6 analogues and 14 digital outputs - the £2 'midi brain'

Just picked up a couple of old xbox 1 gamepads from a charity shop for £2 each. Once the connector had been chopped off and a normal usb cable had been attached (see: http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=223), I installed the Windows drivers (using this guide: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html).

Windows control panel then gives me 6 analogues and 14 digital outputs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0_bRQijZk

which isn't bad for £2! (especially as most usb gamepads only give you 4 analogue outputs)

Even better is that each xbox gamepad has a built in 2 port usb hub. This means that I can easily solder the 2nd gamepad I bought directly to the first gamepads circuit board. This will give me 12 analogues and 28 digital outputs for less than a fiver... not bad I think you'll agree!

Does the controller have a good PCB for soldering on to or is it those little push pads that I hate so much? Good bargain though, even if you just end up using it to play Fifa 10.

the answer is yes and no, the solder pads are nicely spaced out for the analogue nubs but some of the digital pads might be trickier to solder... have a look:

ctrld

confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".

Thanks for the photos, interesting stuff.

I might have to try one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    Does the controller have a good PCB for soldering on to or is it those little push pads that I hate so much? Good bargain though, even if you just end up using it to play Fifa 10.

The pads aren't too bad to solder to, just use a sharp blade to scrape off the carbon contact to reveal SHINY!!! copper track, the track must be shiny otherwise it still has crap on it, the way I did it was to scrape off the track just as it turns into the pad and then lay your wire ontop of the revealed track, that way you get a good solid contact area.

Just to say this inspired me to try this too.

Just mocked up a quick test using the supplied driver and one button hooked up to an arcade button and SUCCESS!

Although I would recommend not splicing the cable into the xbox cable. What I did was unsolder the original cable from the PCB and solder in a usb cable back in. Much neater.

good idea - I'll probably do the same once I've soldered everything else on to the circuit board... just need to do some tests with various potentiometers first...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast