Considering going to a DJ academy - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Really? Don't be one of those guys who absolutely hate sync no matter what.

It has its merits. It's a great tool to use if you just want to work on phrasing and not worry about beatmatching simultaneously, and there's TONS of stuff unlocked by sync like remix decks.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

Anyway thanks for all the advice I just need to put the practice in which is something I do as I love it and I'm defiantly improving as my stats show on sound cloud my last mix from 25 days already has better stats than any mix I done

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Really? Don't be one of those guys who absolutely hate sync no matter what.

It has its merits. It's a great tool to use if you just want to work on phrasing and not worry about beatmatching simultaneously, and there's TONS of stuff unlocked by sync like remix decks.
    Sorry I don't think I'll ever use the sync button as I have love for the dj culture all the way from the hip hop days it just takes the art out of a mix in my opinion I would rather learn the proper way rather than pressing a button. And have great respect that anyone can mix on vinyl

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    Sorry I don't think I'll ever use the sync button as I have love for the dj culture all the way from the hip hop days it just takes the art out of a mix in my opinion I would rather learn the proper way rather than pressing a button. And have great respect that anyone can mix on vinyl
    This is the problem. There is no way to 'properly' DJ. This is a new age where there are so many different ways to DJ.

If you don't want to use sync. Sure, great. But don't hate on people who do use it. A lot of people here who use sync can properly beatmatch so I wouldn't discredit their opinion just because they choose to sync.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    This is the problem. There is no way to 'properly' DJ. This is a new age where there are so many different ways to DJ.

If you don't want to use sync. Sure, great. But don't hate on people who do use it. A lot of people here who use sync can properly beatmatch so I wouldn't discredit their opinion just because they choose to sync.
    Ok fair enough but I'll never agree with it standard mixing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    Well since it's love from all the way from the hip hop days I won't laugh at you.

Tech Mentor

I started using controllers and sync. it allowed me to discover phraseing and listening to the structure and content of the song. the eureka moment happened when i realized that most western music was 4/4 and comprised with variables of 2 (2/4/6/8/16). that allowed me to figured out exactly where to find my cue points in my songs and how to mix in and out properly by using the flow of the song without depending on the wash out of effects.

that took me about a year to figure out.

I think the dj class is a great way to learn quick and fast, but ultimately you're going to have to train your ears and your thinking to go beyond the matching and conduct music around cohesion of multiple ideas while having them flow properly.

So if you think that trading 400E for the possibility of quicker development is worth it, then hell yeah you should do it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JaF View Post
    Well since it's love from all the way from the hip hop days I won't laugh at you.
    Laugh all you want it's an Internet forum big man

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    I started using controllers and sync. it allowed me to discover phraseing and listening to the structure and content of the song. the eureka moment happened when i realized that most western music was 4/4 and comprised with variables of 2 (2/4/6/8/16). that allowed me to figured out exactly where to find my cue points in my songs and how to mix in and out properly by using the flow of the song without depending on the wash out of effects.

that took me about a year to figure out.

I think the dj class is a great way to learn quick and fast, but ultimately you're going to have to train your ears and your thinking to go beyond the matching and conduct music around cohesion of multiple ideas while having them flow properly.

So if you think that trading 400E for the possibility of quicker development is worth it, then hell yeah you should do it.
    Hearing some of te opinions on here I thinks it best to just keep practicing and I'll find my own way

[QUOTE=Raver Ste;698523]
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I don't have a lot of vinyl I think I need a better pair of headphones as I can't hear hardly nothing so I do it out loud most of the time but I need to practise getting my phrases on point
    Try turning your cue monitor output level up. Getting the right balance between the cue monitor level and the level of the output from my monitors was a big help for me. Don't be afraid to adjust the cue level as you transition and don't forget to either switch what's cueing or put both headphones on once the incoming song has "taken over" the main output. This will help you to keep the two songs in sync as you're fading out the outgoing song.

Just keep counting for your phrases. You'll start to get a feel for the start of a new phrase, but some songs - especially stuff I like to spin, deep house is very repetitive and without a drum fill or something I'm not really positive if I'm in the 4th bar, 8th bar, etc. Listen to your songs - what's typically different musically/rhythmically in the 8th bar or 4th bar, if anything? Oftentimes there's something that can cue you off where you're at in the song.

Just keep at it man. Don't get discouraged, and if you have the money for the academy without worrying about food, maybe do it? As much as I advocate trying to learn on your own, and there's a lot you can do to learn on your own with the Internet and your own ears, nothing can replace being face to face with someone that knows what they're doing and the ability to ask them questions.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast