How many of you digital DJs never learned to use CDJs or TTs and can't beatmatch? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Did you learn to beatmatch on CDJs and or TTs and could you DJ a set with them alone?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have limited to no experience with beatmatching on CDJs/TTs

57 39.04%
  • I am comfortable DJing and beatmatching with CDJs/TTs alone

89 60.96%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

sounds like my college. the good frats use me =D

Tech Guru

No offense meant to anyone, but what exactly is this fascination with this beat matching ship everyone is on?. Beat matching is really not hard, no shit. For some it may require persistence to nail down, but it isn't rocket science to see-saw a pitch slider into the right position for one song to play next to another in tandem. Oooohhh ahhh lol.

This isn't meant as an ego stroker or anything, but I find beat matching on anything other than SL-1200's to be embarrassingly simple. Especially on a pair of CDJ-1000's. Using time code vinyl is hardly any different from that either since you have pretty waveforms and BPM displays which aid you visually more so than a CDJ display can.

Yeah, it's a fundamental skill I believe every DJ should know, but if they don't, my balls aren't busted.

This redundancy is all relative though. I'm sure those of us who are more rooted in the traditions of DJ who slag those who aren't would equally get their asses handed to them by a forum of aspiring DMC Championship DJs who have routines like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lbAZOCR3qw#t=0m26s

Uh oh, suddenly that linear routine pitch riding we match our beats with isn't that complex and special in contrast lol.

The style of music I played starting out it has never really occured to me to bother trying to beatmatch rock and indie music, now my style is swaying towards electro, it's something I might try and nail down but I'd rather spend my time learning more interesting transitions
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    This redundancy is all relative though. I'm sure those of us who are more rooted in the traditions of DJ who slag those who aren't would equally get their asses handed to them by a forum of aspiring DMC Championship DJs who have routines like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lbAZOCR3qw#t=0m26s
    DAMN!
    That is tight!
    Macbook Pro 15 Retina _-_ 2x Technics 1210MK2 _-_ Traktor Scratch pro 2.6.1 _-_ Traktor Z2 Mixer _-_ 2x Traktor Kontrol X1 _-_ VCI-100 FW 1.3 _-_

fresh push breakinī. hifanas the ish
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

LoLz... almost a 50-50 going on around here.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I can't beat match unfortunatly!

I started off on Traktor with a VCi, learned to grid my tracks and that's it.

I'd like some TTs before they get discontinued in feb, but I can't justify spending the cash when I can control 4 virtual decks with my apc40.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Mentor

I can't beat match at all. I use sync from the very beginning

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...r-scratch-pro/ klick the Chris Liebing Speedy J Video

I really like the comment by Chris Liebing about beatmatching, I think he is right but I can understand why the controversy is so big by hitting the sync button

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I find beat matching on anything other than SL-1200's to be embarrassingly simple.
    Hmm, care to explain your issue with the techs ? My curiosity is piqued

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I am looking to get an honest number of how many digital DJs couldn't DJ a set with CDJs or vinyl because they lack the experience. BE HONEST please.
    so are you trying to find out who's skipped the "babby steps" thanks to technology, or further displaying your typical a-hole dj overtone twords our entry-level members. ha honestly reminds me of the old term "identification is the first step in the process" you see when hitler first came to power he made the jews ware a star of david so they would reconize them which later made it easier for them to...well you should know the history. instead of asking things to appease your inner dj's inferiority complex practice being a well known dj threw yr music.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast