How many of you digital DJs never learned to use CDJs or TTs and can't beatmatch? - Page 12

View Poll Results: Did you learn to beatmatch on CDJs and or TTs and could you DJ a set with them alone?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have limited to no experience with beatmatching on CDJs/TTs

57 39.04%
  • I am comfortable DJing and beatmatching with CDJs/TTs alone

89 60.96%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Tech Mentor

Learned on Vinyl back then we had no other way to mix lol

TBH I find using purely midi control pretty limiting in a sense that the control is taken away from you there is something about mixing on vinyl and cdjs that puts you in one with the mix kinda like a spiritual thing .

But thats just me LOL

I will always have a set of Technics in my life

Tech Mentor

By the looks of this poll in 10 years time the pitch fader will be history

lol you kids have it easy these days !!! back in my day we !!!

haha nice one
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

I really bought my first gear in august...had a VCI-100, sold it due to financial reasons. Got a job, and at the end, had enough money to buy something I'd always wanted: turntables. Got a pair of 1210s WITH white labels for $400 off Craigslist. I couldn't pass it up...I'd made enough money to get the whole rig together (had a laptop for school), so I did just that.

That being said, I've never mixed with straight vinyl. I love my DVS. I feel like I'm *touching* the wave. On top of that, I've been trying to learn some turntablism stuff, and it has been fun.

I can beatmatch alright, though I have the BPM meter to help me out, obviously. One of my goals for this year is to get better at it. I really don't find it that hard doing it completely blind - I just want to get better at it.

The question we should be asking, imo, is how many DJs are actually musical? Say your laptop stops working, and none of the club DJing equipment does. There is a resident band, and you can choose to play any one of their instruments. Could you still play?

JUST KIDDING

I've been using vinyl at parties since around 1990 and would still prefer to have my record wall with me at all times. Beatmatching by ear since day one. Like many, I started with 2 Gemini BD-10 belt drives, graduating to friends Techs, to... eventually 3 Techs, then FinalScratch, Serato and now also TraktorPro. I think it's an art to be able to match songs by ear and essentially can define a DJ. Meaning...some guys can mix, and some guys can't....is it the machine doing it or you....but that's a whole other thread. I'm definitely glad I know how to match songs "manually", but understand that the sync frees you up to do other things. Pitch control was something new once also. Software, hardware, manual, auto...I'd like to master them all.
    I appreciate the poll and find the current results interesting.
    For those who say they can't beatmatch, practice by mixing songs with your eyes closed or head down, no sync button or waveforms to see.(granted, the 100 doesn't have the best pitch control) Like they said, it's not rocket science, just a great skill to own.

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    TBH I find using purely midi control pretty limiting in a sense that the control is taken away from you there is something about mixing on vinyl and cdjs that puts you in one with the mix kinda like a spiritual thing .

But thats just me LOL

I will always have a set of Technics in my life
    +40oz

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    How many of you poor unprivileged digital DJs rubbed a vinyl on your dick and licked the pitch fader?
    HAHA. More posts like this please.

Tech Guru

"If you dont know how to use a machine, the machine will probably conquer you" by me :P

What happened with those workers who never learned how to use a mechanical arm in automobile construction? They were trained or dismissed right?
    If you dont accept the technology inovations you will be leaved behind for sure, this applies with whatever part of living you want. At work, at home, at school, with your children, etc...

I started DJing in my bed and friend's parties at 2009, never really practiced to beatmatch on CDJ and I never had a TT in front of me. I just pay so much attention at the DJ booth on the clubs that I learned their technique by myself. I imagine what they are doing and I try to reproduce in my own authentic way.
    The first thing that I do when I join a new club is to discover what's the DJ setup so I can imagine better what knobs they are turning. Then the next day at home I try to remember what he did on his equip and I translate to Digital DJ at Traktor + Oxygen 8v2.

I never had a teacher and I probably never will, I just wanna keep it simple and effective. If I don't play like the others is not shame on me, it's shame on them for not beign creative and use always the same equipment. I want to stay pure and develop my own style of playing based on the final sound of the mix, in the end what counts is what is heard at the sound system, right?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112