How many of you digital DJs never learned to use CDJs or TTs and can't beatmatch? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Did you learn to beatmatch on CDJs and or TTs and could you DJ a set with them alone?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have limited to no experience with beatmatching on CDJs/TTs

57 39.04%
  • I am comfortable DJing and beatmatching with CDJs/TTs alone

89 60.96%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    i learned how to dj on my buddy's tech12s and can beatmatch comfortably, i've never owned my own pair tables though.

i personally don't find manual beatmatching to be difficult, but I much prefer djing with traktor + midi controllers over vinyl. I like having a visual display of the waveform so I can see the different drops in the track and use cue points to help plan better crafted transitions for my mixes.
    QFT!

Even though you can set this up through digital vinyl use, the MIDI controller offers more ease of use.
    (And thus sets you up for more freedom to plan and execute your sets)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I actually went to a DJ School.
    I can beatmatch - barely ever do it. Pitchbend and correct the match a bit.

Xonetactular, regarding the other post which surely lead up to this....
    I'm actually adding turntables back to my setup (if significant space is given and the turntables provided) because of all the comments I receive!
    It will sometimes get to the point where I just can't get my set finished in peace
    Last edited by Leon.R; 01-02-2010 at 07:07 AM.
    Macbook Pro 15 Retina _-_ 2x Technics 1210MK2 _-_ Traktor Scratch pro 2.6.1 _-_ Traktor Z2 Mixer _-_ 2x Traktor Kontrol X1 _-_ VCI-100 FW 1.3 _-_

hey

I've been a DJ now for about 10 or 12 years and I can manually beatmatch on CDJ's or TTs no problem.

As I have said in other threads I do think it is a valuable skill to learn and it makes it easier to use the sync button properly because you know what your aiming for, not just in terms of the beats themselves but also the phrasing, drops and really just the "feel" of what your doing because there is a lot more to creating a good mix than just being in time.

However, on the flip side I do know a fair few CDJ DJs that cant beatmatch either. They play just basic top 40 and old cheesy stuff for weddings and parties and stuff and its just a case of fading over and firing on the next track they dont bother to invest the time and practice to learn. I think its a bit of a shame because there are plenty of good mixes you can pull off with top 40 stuff and a little looping

k

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    i'm failing to see the reason to this thread? not the first one where the title has had 'you digital djs' in it - do you not consider yourself a digital dj xone? in which case what are your motivations for joining a site like djtt?
    it's like you're looking for some twisted sense of superiority because you still use tt/cdjs, i get that you're over the moon with your 1200 purchase a few weeks back, and you love you're cdj1000's, but dude stop f-ing showing off about it!!
    clearly your opinion that's being saved for later will be one of underhanded-condescending-mockery, as has been the case several times over.

anyway, this digital dj can beatmatch and mixed on tt/cdj for about 10 years.
    you should know this is not the first rodeo this guy bateman has been too.

perhaps he is withholding his answer while he "learns" quick?

<--not impressed by attitudes

lovin yer avatar charo! trippy stuff
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

records are coooookies?

to be honest if were doing a set all vinyl and i couldnt see the BPM either on my screen or TT (i use a TTX, has bpm counter) it would take me much longer to beatmatch. i do most of it by ear but when i know theres a screen or a gauge somewhere very near me that will tell me the exact bpm so i can tighten up a little and stay in time, i like to use it. now battle routines and short sets on regular vinyl are no problem. most likely because most of what is involved isnt track blending..mostly just scratching and juggling.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

I bought my first turntables around 1990 (Soundlab DLP-1 belt drives) and have had still got plenty of vinyl, and my beloved Technics.

I find it more difficult to use the effects in Traktor correctly than I do beat matching with my TT's.

Not everyone can own two CDJ-1000s, two tech 1200s, _and_ a xone:4d, Xonetac :P

That being said, even though I only have a vci-100, I'm pretty confident that given practice on CDJs or TTs I could beatmatch pretty well. I often have to beatmatch when the auto-beatgrid in traktor is off (and I can't be F'd to go through all my tracks pre-performance for my own house parties, especially for new tracks). When I do beatmatch in these scenarios, it goes pretty well. Sure, the BPM display is often helpful, but honestly I'd prefer tap-tempo half the time. It's all about how you use the software.

That being said as well, I'd love to practice on CDJs or TTs if someone were to ship some my way with a mixer (or hell for free ones I'd buy a mixer myself)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    hey

I've been a DJ now for about 10 or 12 years and I can manually beatmatch on CDJ's or TTs no problem.

As I have said in other threads I do think it is a valuable skill to learn and it makes it easier to use the sync button properly because you know what your aiming for, not just in terms of the beats themselves but also the phrasing, drops and really just the "feel" of what your doing because there is a lot more to creating a good mix than just being in time.

However, on the flip side I do know a fair few CDJ DJs that cant beatmatch either. They play just basic top 40 and old cheesy stuff for weddings and parties and stuff and its just a case of fading over and firing on the next track they dont bother to invest the time and practice to learn. I think its a bit of a shame because there are plenty of good mixes you can pull off with top 40 stuff and a little looping

k
    QFT - I've been to a few college dances/dance parties where the DJ "transitions" by slamming the x-fader over to go from one hispanic-hip-hop old top-40 song to the next All I can do is stand there dancing and think, "you're getting paid for this?!"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast