highly recommend ArtistX if you are looking for linux distro to try

Default highly recommend ArtistX if you are looking for linux distro to try

Hi everyone! maybe you have seen my other threads talking about music production in linux and the options out there, but i recently tried one called ArtistX: http://www.artistx.org/site2/

it's based on ubuntu so it's beginner friendly, and it comes with literally every video, audio, graphics type software created for linux....already installed and ready to use.

Download the iso file and burn to dvd and you'll have a livedvd that you can try in your computer without messing with your current OS and harddrive.

I got caught in this trap where i thought i had to buy just one more thing and then everything musical would just fall into place. I have learned more about music production in the last 6 months where i said hey no more spending, more doing, then i have in the last couple years trying to find my niche DAW, my perfect controller, my perfect combo of hardware/software etc., best VSTs, best soundcard, etc. this applies to just about everything today, you have to IMO seperate and limit how much time, energy and money you spend on the tools, and focus on the craft.

admittedly i'm a better consumer then i am a music producer, its easy and fun to research "things" for days and days. spend hours tinkering with midi, make my controllers work like i want them too.

it's harder at the beginning to sit down with the tools and try to make something, you are faced with your noob...but you have it to face to overcome it.

best of luck.

any linux daw questions or topics please feel free to post.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Tech Convert

im running linux right now and was thinking of switching to MAC os, maybe i will give this a try....is it like ubuntu studio ??

pretty similar, all the programs are installed so it's really easy for a new guy to start off with.

have you tried others besides u. studio?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    pretty similar, all the programs are installed so it's really easy for a new guy to start off with.

have you tried others besides u. studio?
    no i havent, im kinda new to DJing, ive played in many many bands, saw the homie playing with his midi fighter and i decided that i want to give it a go.....i run linux now and was trying to find something like traktor......have you tried mixxxxx ???

Tech Convert

another program for linux that i like to use is called "hydrogen"

yes i've used mixxx on windows and on linux. on windows i used it with their dascratch script when i had one of those.

It's basic, the scripting is cool.

I like the program "aldrin" as well, a buzz-clone, a modular tracker.

also renoise on linux is sweet, it's payware.

that's the nice thing about this artistx, it's got hydrogen, rosegarden, PD, 4 different trackers, audacity, and a few other wave editors, etc it's good for seeing what's out there.

there is xwax if you want a DVS on the linux side.

Tech Student

Thanks for posting this!!! Going to give it a try today!!

good luck!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    also renoise on linux is sweet, it's payware.
    Yes, it's very nice. It is definitely payware but it's only $75 USD. That $75, however, allows you to run it on Linux, Windows and Mac simultaneously under a single license. The community around Renoise is great and there is a good sized Linux-related forum on their web site as well. I play all day long, on the Linux laptop while away and at home on the Windows machine.

As I said in another post, I first heard about trackers after watching a Remix Hotel video and hearing a producer named Nicolay rave about them. Renoise is powerful; I often read opinions from other folks that it can definitely hang if not outshine Ableton. I don't have a opinion on that claim because I have not used Ableton. I do have one of those Korg coupons but I'm invested in Renoise now.