USB Hubs

Thread: USB Hubs

Default USB Hubs

I've read in the past that it's best to use a powered USB hub when combining multiple midi controllers on one USB hub. I own a powered hub and have had no problems using my VCI-100 and trigger finger together.

What I'm curious about is whether or not the "powered" aspect is is really necessary? Has anyone had any midi dropout or other problems while using an un-powered hub?

At recent gigs, I've haven't had access to extra outlets, so the last gig I ended up carrying my own power strip, primarily because I needed an extra plug for my hub. It's also an extra cord I have to retrieve (usually having to play an awkward game of twister around the incoming DJ in the process) and wrap up at the end of each gig.

My hub works without the power cord, but I don't want to risk my performance at all.

Any thoughts?

It all depends on how much power your laptop is providing the hub with. As soon as its maxed....you have problems. The power supply is there to cover this. Check out the FAQ. There is an extended thread about hubs and which are the ones to use and why. There is a bit more to it than just the power issue.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Convert

yo can you post a link to the thread in the FAQ i cant seem to find in
    Cheers

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin