performing with MCs

Default performing with MCs

i was curious on how you guys handle working with MCs. im wondering what tricks you guys use to keep the beat going during that awkward moment of musical absence following a rewind that the mc called for. ive seen people pull drum fills. ive seen people go straight into a double drop after a rewinf (which is beyond my comprehension tbh). and ive also seen people just restart the track or start from right before the first drop.

also, what do u do if u find you went into a vocal track? cant really just kill the mids cause then the snares are pingy....

and what about negotiating the mcs syncopation with fader cuts??

the thing is, nearly every dnb event has an mc. but i like to play alot of vocal tracks and i dont like doing rewinds on serato cause of the distortion (don't believe me? rewind a track on vinyl and rewind the same track on serato and youll hear the diff).

anyways, im just curious as to how yalls handle mcs.

ps. no disrespect to mcs, im just trying to learn how to work with them better
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, I mean, a good way around going into a vocal track is maybe put in the comments something like Vocals at Cue 3 or something. Just might be easier to navigate.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I used to be an MC myself.

Thing was, I was one that kept his mouth shut at most times. So most DJs would rather have me MC-ing than others.

Nowadays I probably rather not have an MC, as they try to steel the thunder of a DJ in service of the crowd.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

i make it a personal note to never do any rewinds. imo theyre cheesy as hell and they wreck the flow of the mix. might as well pause the last track and press play from the beginning on the next track you intend to rewind.

one thing you could do is just tell the emcee you dont do rewinds. don't let the emcee command the dj's selections--that's just bogus. also let the emcee know in advance that you play a lot of vocal tracks and somehow send cues to him when vox are going to drop.

for instance i played a remix of marvin gaye's sexual healing on NYE. a friend of mine was emceeing and i let him know before i started mixing the next track in that it had lyrics at the drop. he did his thing all the way up to the drop and then let marvin gaye do his thing and it worked out great.

Tech Wizard

Just like being in a band with a singer. The rare ones that get their egos outta the way are gems to work with. They know when to back off and when to get it going

Tech Convert

I agree with epsy, i do a lot of MC work around town, and I know when to shut up and when there is a break coming up..an MC should know the music, and if he is someone(like myself) that knows how to mix it's definetly a plus!
    Kaiborg is also correct, just let the MC know when a break is coming up (if he is unfamiliar with the music or your style), makes things much easier.
    MC's with big egos soon find themselves out of work, as they are simply there to compliment the DJ's mix, not distract from it.