Trying to decide on setup, VDJ + DVS or Traktor/Midi controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Trying to decide on setup, VDJ + DVS or Traktor/Midi controller

I'm new to the DJ scene, but I'm getting into it and am motivated to keep improving. Eventually I want to work at some nice venues, but to start I am aiming at the bars in my college area. I'm into mainstream house and hip hop.

I'm at somewhat of a dilemma, I currently have traktor pro, VDJ v6, and a Hercules RMX. I've been mixing on traktor purely with the RMX. However, I notice most of the well known DJs playing mainstream tracks that I've seen on youtube are using digital vinyl software, primarily SSL. They often do scratch mixes, which I can't really do with my RMX, but it would be a stretch money wise for me to buy an SL1 at the moment. I'm trying to decide, would it be worth it for me to invest in some turntables and buy the timecode vinyls for VDJ, or might I just as well upgrade to a nicer midi controller like the VCI 100 and stick with traktor pro?

Thanks

Up to you mate but my vote would be to go down the Traktor and VCI road.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

since you said "SCRATCH"

go get some second hand technics - they will last you a long time and it will be worth it

these days second hand technics are cheap and u can find plenty
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Mentor

It all depends on how deep you want to go on the scratching route...

If you just want to put a scratch here and there the vci should be enough.

If you're planning on learning all the scratching tricks go with the time code vinyl and buy a pair of used tanknics.... sorry technics.

Tech Convert

I mean, I don't think I want to bust out into a scratch routine, I don't think the people at the venues I plan to play at will want to hear that. However, I like the sound of Vice's scratch mix at @40sec:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01feAAJQqus

Is that possible with a vci 100?

You CAN do scratching on controllers, but they just don't cut it if you want to get serious with it. But if you just want to throw in a stop or a backspin something like the VCI will be fine man.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I'd go the VCI-100 OR suss out the Numark NS7!
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

NS7 would be the best, a turntable midi controller. but maybe too expensive for ya.

I would say go for VDJ, as TP is mostly for EDM IMHO.
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

lol at the ns7 recommendations, for the price come on, think of what you can get for even half that, which still sounds out of the OP's price range.

If you are scratching at all, i'd go DVS, although i would recommend a more tried and true system then (I'm assuming) u hooking turntables up to the RMX and using the timecode in VDJ.

maybe sell the RMX save like hell, and get a DVS system like the scratch duo or used SL1 box.

or determine how important scratching will be in your djing and see if the money could be better spent elsewhere.

the rmx is totally enough for TCV in VDJ. There are no big differences between those cards ^^

VDJ-DVS is tried and true. IDK how you mean your sentence. But i for reference am using a bcd3000 with dvs in vdj, and it works flawless. Most peeps at the vdj forum are using a rmx with dvs.
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast