Soldering issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering issue

Tech Convert

Question Soldering issue

Hello fellow midifighters,

After browsing the forums, it seems like several other folks have a few missing pieces or are having to solder to get their buttons to fit. I certainly understand the missing pieces (those things are tiny and must be tough to keep track of), but could someone let me know what I should do for the soldering issue? I don't have a soldering iron, but I'm sure someone in my family or a friend does. Could any of you let me know what I should be doing? Don't want to ruin 'ole Midifighter #5 with a soldering mishap.

Also, I'm not even entirely sure this is the problem, as it appears there is enough room, though considering that is the problem others have had I'm assuming it's the only sensical thing.

Thanks for any help, I'm looking forward to rocking with it.

EDIT: With additional inspection (and a better flashlight), this is definitely the problem. Is this something I'll be able to figure out on my own? My soldering experience is extremely limited, although I do understand the concept behind it. I went to film school, which was fun but didn't really prepare me for stuff like this, haha.
    Last edited by brownbelt315; 01-03-2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Additional info

hi, do you think you could post some pictures or maybe even a short video. i'm sure this will make it easier for the djtt community to help =D

Tech Convert

When I received mine, at first glance I thought that the solder would prevent the buttons from snapping in. With a bit of pressure I was successfully able to get the buttons in with no hiccups.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the soldering iron because there's always the chance of damage to the board. From my experience with the staff at DJTT, they have been very helpful with any issues I've experienced. I would recommend e-mailing them and seeing what they suggest.

Then again, the solder issue didn't stop me from snapping my buttons in and my midi fighter is rockin! Contradictions

Tech Convert

I've tried the brute force method (to an extent) but this one is just closed enough that it starts to bend the plug when it's pushed. I'll post some pictures this afternoon when I get back from the grocery store to better illustrate what I'm talking about/show off my work so far.

I agree that the DJTT crew is very helpful, but this seems like a pretty simple fix so if it's something I can do I don't mind putting in the time myself.

Hmmm, getting quite concerned here about my midifighter. I live in the UK. Ordered mine and i'm pretty sure it's been dispatched.
    Why are some of the sections shut? I don't own a soldering iron, and I wouldn't know how to operate one.
    Also, I can only pray that all the screws are going to be there, otherwise i'm going to be waiting ages all the way over here in the UK.
    Surely this should be sorted way before I spent my $160?

Well to be really sure, you could post some pictures, as that Midifidler and the rest of the MIDIfighter team could take a better look.
    There were some issues with some of the PCBs that were sent in the first batch, but this is, or most certain will be solved asap.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

apparently a few (1-5) of the MF's had clips that accidentally got soldered closed but the majority of them are working perfectly. Just shoot an email to orders@djtechtools.com and we will dispatch a new one to you right away. We are keeping a closer eye on this now so none will go out with the problem.

Mine had three that were unusable because of the solder issue. I'd suggest future pcbs are checked closely, try popping a button in each set of holes before sending it out; it took me 30 seconds to identify all three bum slots. In every case it was the slot on the left (assuming you are looking at the pcb with the usb port on the top and "MIDI Fighter" right-side-up). It was completely sealed up.

I don't have a soldering iron either (at least not easily available) and it was 11pm so I couldn't go out and get one. And I sure as hell wasn't going to wait till morning to finish my Midifighter :-P So I heated up an x-acto knife with a lighter and poked and pushed and rocked it back and forth until the solder broke. I wouldn't recommend this method; the whole time I was thinking I was gonna cut through the pc board. It might be better if you have a copper paper clip but I tried a regular one and it didn't work - when it got hot enough it gave way before the solder did. Anyway in a pinch the x-acto knife worked but if you just get a soldering iron you will probably have an easier time of it. And when you get your kit check this out with a button (put it in every single slot) first rather than waiting until you are snapping them into the top piece; I already had several buttons in when I noticed the problem -- one of them jammed into one hole, the other piece bent, and then it was a huge hassle getting it out again. You can see pics of my trials and tribulations at http://www.turntablepoetry.com/midifighter including me heating up the x-acto knife....

Tech Convert

OK, so I found it pretty impossible to take a clear picture so close with my old point-and-shoot, but in one of the pictures you can see a bigger blob of solder in the middle of the right clip. I'm also including a pic just to show how damn sexy it is so far!

And yes, this was number 5/300 so it's totally understandable. For the dude worrying about it, it seems like they've addressed these kinks already and as always are more than willing to help out if there is a problem, so I wouldn't worry about anything. These are early days and I don't mind the trouble at all.

Here are the pics:

Tech Convert

I guess it's just the issues that go with having the first batch of anything. However I can't say I'm dissapointed. Good luck with that board bro.

DJTT also already sent me an e-mail that they are shipping my 4 screws asap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast